Heater stuck on hot! Not cool!

justjoe

Hello!

Picked up my newly purchased Ibiza this evening, and have just taken it for a drive.

Problem i have is the heater controls, even tho everything is set to 'off' and cold, its still pumping out hot air!

Its mostly noticeable when i go over 40mph.

Also the AirCon doesnt seem to want to work, and i can even get cold air out of the temperature controls.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Something i can fix myself? (i have a somewhat limited mechanical ability) or should i hand it over the garage?

The car in question is - Seat ibiza 1.4 S, 2004 :)

-Joe

DKershaw

1.4 Sport
Apr 6, 2009
West Yorkshire
take it back to the place you have just bought it from and get them to sort it out in my opinion as they have sold you a car that is not fit for purpose !!!!

justjoe

yes yes, that sounds logical, but also alot of fuss. i cant be dealing with sorting disputes out with the old owner.

Plus, the car was cheap, i kind of expected some minor faults....

Assuming this heater problem is a minor fualt :/

any other advice?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Depends on the kind of heating controls you have.

If it's the electronic type controls - you could try dissconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so to see if they reset themselves ( just make sure you have the radio code first !! )

if it is the mechanical controls - I expect a cable has come loose somewhere between the control and the flap inside the air direction box. it should be quite easy to see on the side of the box under the dash.

neilo42

Apr 12, 2008
horbury wakefield w yorkshire
Hello!

Picked up my newly purchased Ibiza this evening, and have just taken it for a drive.

Problem i have is the heater controls, even tho everything is set to 'off' and cold, its still pumping out hot air!

Its mostly noticeable when i go over 40mph.

Also the AirCon doesnt seem to want to work, and i can even get cold air out of the temperature controls.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Something i can fix myself? (i have a somewhat limited mechanical ability) or should i hand it over the garage?

The car in question is - Seat ibiza 1.4 S, 2004 :)

-Joe

joe i have the same problem and booking mine in today,might be a few days before it's sorted depending on how busy they are. but will let you know the outcome.....

justjoe

cheers for the replies fella's!

Ill keep the vents shut and wait for your responces :)

Heading the seat tomorow anyway, as i need a spare key, so ill bring it up then and see what they say.

justjoe

Righto, just got back from Seat.

Rather unsuccessfull trip....

First off, a spare key, £68 inc vat, then £32 to code it to the car! No Thanks.

Apparently, there is no difference in price between a 'normal' key, and a remote key either which is a bit crap!

Woman at the desk was pretty unhelpfull, kept insisting i needed to book the car in, all i wanted was a quick chat and someone to look at it!

After a while a technitian/mechanic man came out and gave it a look over, he checked with his computer and according to that 'the heaters not getting any communication'. This means little to me, he also checked the fuses and they were all fine.

All he could suggest, without booking it in, was to remove the centre console and check that nothing had worked loose, or looked out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:

justjoe

any update neilo42?

Ive taken my centre console out today, and couldnt see anything unusual :(

If i cant make any progress this evening, ill head to Seat again tomorow and get it booked in...

skott101

Apr 4, 2007
Manchester
If the heater is stuck fully on, there is a small DC motor which is located behind the centre console which jams. You can get them from ebay for around £30, but i found that taking them apart and greasing the worm gear and cleaning the carbon track sorts the problem out. It's not a big job but it is hard to get to.

justjoe

yea i spotted that yesterday, mines not jammed, it was spinning quite freely. Not sure how that would affect the heater either, as it looks to me like that little motor powers a fan to cool the controls?

I may be wrong though.

Ive booked the car in with the local garage for Wednesday, not the seat services as its a good 20minute drive each time :/ So i shal keep fiddling until then, and hope they can sort it!

justjoe

just picked up some fuses from halfrauds. I know mr.seat man checked the fuses, but at such a simple and cheap possible fix, it had to be tried.

Can anyone tell me which fuse is for the heater/aircon?

As far as im aware its a 25 amp fuse, but im not sure where its located on the board :/

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There is a small, very small fan motor that does provide "feedback" of the cabin temperature to the temperature controller, but there is also some "flap motors" which control the air temperature and air direction, these do fail - but I've discovered that sometimes just repeatedly "exercising" the faulty function does indeed help clean up the track that is used to control the flap position - and so returns a "duff" motor to use - well it has done on my Passat B5, but for how long I don't know plus I'd already bought the new motor before finding out that this exercising got rid of this HOT/COLD fault.

justjoe

Right, just got a call from the garage! For anyone that cares:

Problem has been fixed, but im not so sure on how permanent it will be...

They took the centre console and heating unit out, and completely disconnected it. apprently the connections had began to 'corode' and all it required was a clean up and re-plugging back in, so it should be all working.

Cost - £60 for them to do all the above.

If the problem continues, a new heater control is required at £120 for the parts, plus what ever labour, £60 again i would imagine :)