Heatshield round exhaust loose

halftone

May 15, 2008
Dudley, West Midlands
Had a rattle appear yesterday, got under the car tonight, and the corrugated metal around the back of the exhaust is loose (I assume heatshield ??). There looks like 2 screws sticking through it, but nothing attached to them.

What do I need to screw back on to hold it in place ?

Edit* can't see how to delete thread, but I assume it's just a couple of these needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322105272379

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Are you sure that what you are seeing is "two screws sticking through with nothing on them" - I've usually found that it is these screws and the retainer, but the two different metals, steel and aluminium have disagreed and the area of aluminium above the retainer has gone and the heat shield has dropped down.

Either way, I'd reckon that you need to make up some repair plates/washers out of an old tin can fit them and then fit retainers below them to sort this - though if the retainers are also missing then you will need to get some new ones - any spares can be used to keep the plastic under covers on as they has a tendency to suddenly drop down it seems!

Edit:- these retainers just push on/up and not screw on, the "screws" are ridged not threaded - I normally use a 1/4" deep socket of a suitable size!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.