Heavy steering and loose brake pads

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Hi everyone , I had many cars but the steering on my Cupra R seems to be pretty heavy and not in the good way its actually like i was running on flat tyres. The power steering fluid isnt leaking and it is working but the car feels heavier then it actually is due to the heavy steering.

I also get this sort of like a knocking sound from the back end when driving over a speed bump , could that be the top mount? I got the front front top mounts ready to install im just waiting for the spring compressors so would do the rear ones too but i notice they're not rubber and can't really see why they would be knocking since they seem to be pretty solid.

One other thing i noticed is that when im parking and i just gently touch the brake pedal there's this ''one knock'' sound so i checked the brakes on the front and the pads seem to have a little play in the calipers , they're pretty much new and seem to be fitted correctly but the brakes are weaker then they should be on a car with Brembo's. Anyone have an idea what could be causing them to be loose? Cheers.

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
You're propably right cause i can't find any suspension or steering problem which could be causing heavy steering.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
One or more off your pistons could be sticking on your callipers get someone to push the brake pedal and watch to see if the pads more and try to wiggle them with the brake pedal pressed
Is your power steering pump working?

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the help guys , the power steering fluid was renewed not even a year ago but i found the reason for the heavy steering it was just the front tyre loosing pressure so that's fixed now and the steering isnt so heavy anymore.

As with the knocking from the rear i did check the exhaust but its all solid. Im going to change the front top mounts over the weekend finally got everything i needed to do it myself so ill check the rear suspension too.

With the brakes what i really want to do is refurbish the calipers as i know one of them is sticking so want them to be 100% working as they should , they're weak aswell so if anyone could could lead me in the right direction of getting them refurbished ? Thanks

ericbrx7

Jul 25, 2018
Is that the rear calipers ? if so its a known issue there are plenty on ebay (refurb/new) or places like eurocarparts.

or there are place like these folks (I've not used them but they get some good reviews)

http://www.brakecaliperrefurbs.co.uk/

Its the front one's mate but good to know the rear ones are known to stick as i might just get all 4 calipers refurbished at once.

I contacted Godspeed brakes in Bridgend which is like 20 miles away from me and they want £250 for a full refurbishment including new seals , bleed nipples and powder coated any colour i choose.. Not sure if that's any good ?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.