Hello all. Longtime VAG enthusiast - New to this forum

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Thought it was about time I stopped "lurking" and had a go at joining in! I'm an old codger (73) but still very active with all the family vehicles. Started life as a mechanic back in the '60's and have never lost the passion. Laterly got somewhat diverted into managing "stuff" & people but never lost the fascination of doing my own thing at home. The current "family Fleet" consists of my '16 Ibiza ST (1.0 litre, 3 cyl, 95 HP? petrol) - Wife's '10 Fiat Panda Dynamic Eco 1.2 - Older boy's '12 Punto 8 valve 1.4 - His wife's '17 Kia rio 1.4 diesel (still under Warranty so I don't get to touch it much yet) - Younger boy's '07 Astra estate 1.6 VVT - His wife's '08 Honda Jazz 1.4 (one of the last of the 8 plug engines).

I do all the servicing and most of the repairs on the Punto, Panda, Astra and Jazz. The Ibiza is just out of warranty so the next service will be done by me and the Kia is a "Kia Assured" car so still has most of it's 7 year warranty to run - I may be dead before the warranty expires!

I'm also very keen on old British motor cycles (although I'm just starting on a '50's NSU Quickly, just for something different!) I like old horticultural machinery too - just finished resurrecting a "Merry Tiller Major" cultivator I was given (in pieces in a box). Looking forward to tackling my younger boy's back garden with it!

I'll finish off by saying that I like "minority" motor sporting activities. Sprint/hillclimbing. Drag racing. The extreme offroad nutcases in Iceland. You get the idea? Man and machine on their own against the odds - can't be bothered with the likes of F1 and circuit racing in general (well maybe Australian V8 supercars, Moto GP and superbikes if there's nothing better)

I have a question about my Ibiza so i'm off to that section now to see if anyone can enlighten me.

Reactions: kanyewest

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Aaah, Think I just got it. There's a list at the top of the page with watched threads/forums. I guess I can jump to a thread I'm interested in by clicking on one of them? You can see how little I know about this sort of thing. Still, quite exciting 'cos there's so much for me to learn!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Compliments on the use of Technology at the age of 73 . My Father in Law is 75 and won’t touch anything techie .
Thanks Maypack. I try!

I've also got a fully registered VCDS (was called VAG-COM when I bought it) and a fully registered Multiecuscan (multiplexed version) for my Fiats. I'm continually learning things about them all the time.

Reactions: kanyewest

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Welcome to the forum,

Great to have you here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

No one's too old to be sorting cars out, it's a hobby with downs and ups but a sense of success when everything works as it is should or better.

You'll have a house of SEAT's soon haha.

Enjoy your stay and any questions let us know.

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.