Hello! Newbie thinking of getting a Leon

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Hello,

Been a member for a week or so and have been reading up on the forums. Lots of good stuff here.
I currently drive a gorgeous looking 55 plate Hyundai Coupe 1.6s, at the time when I changed my car I was seriously looking at the Leon too (but it has just come out and didn't have the various options that we have now) so that made the choice of the Coupe easier (my Hyundai Dealer is also a Seat dealer)
But recently I have been thinking that maybe I should of stuck out a little longer and waited. My job has changed recently and I now have a daily commute of 30-35 miles (West end of Glasgow to East Kilbride plus journeys to the shops at lunch, gym etc) and can't help thinking that I should of bought a Leon TDI. Also the launch of the special edition 'BTCC' kit on the 2.0 ltr Reference Sport doesn't help either!! :whistle:
Not sure if its going to happen but I just wanted to get some opinions on the Leon TDI, its fuel consumption as well as other things that I should know (car reviews don't tell you everything...) At the moment I get about 450 miles per tank on the Coupe which is damm good but I have read that the Leon does about 550-600 right?
Anyways just thought that I'd say hi.
Alex

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Our Leon we usually get 45mpg out of it. But it does depend on how you drive it.

As for ownership it’s been really good and is a real head turner with the aero kit fitted.

Currently drive my car like an old granny :D
Not only do I avoid the Coppers but also driving carefully means that I get every ounce of petrol from the tank.
The aero kit is a real head turner and at £15K its a bargin.
Alex

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
by all means get a Leon.they are highly recommended but just avoid Arnolds!!

See Colin at Bickets in Killie. Mention my name and he will see you right.

Hello,

Been a member for a week or so and have been reading up on the forums. Lots of good stuff here.
I currently drive a gorgeous looking 55 plate Hyundai Coupe 1.6s, at the time when I changed my car I was seriously looking at the Leon too (but it has just come out and didn't have the various options that we have now) so that made the choice of the Coupe easier (my Hyundai Dealer is also a Seat dealer)
But recently I have been thinking that maybe I should of stuck out a little longer and waited. My job has changed recently and I now have a daily commute of 30-35 miles (West end of Glasgow to East Kilbride plus journeys to the shops at lunch, gym etc) and can't help thinking that I should of bought a Leon TDI. Also the launch of the special edition 'BTCC' kit on the 2.0 ltr Reference Sport doesn't help either!! :whistle:
Not sure if its going to happen but I just wanted to get some opinions on the Leon TDI, its fuel consumption as well as other things that I should know (car reviews don't tell you everything...) At the moment I get about 450 miles per tank on the Coupe which is damm good but I have read that the Leon does about 550-600 right?
Anyways just thought that I'd say hi.
Alex

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
by all means get a Leon.they are highly recommended but just avoid Arnolds!!

See Colin at Bickets in Killie. Mention my name and he will see you right.

I have purchased my two cars from Arnolds and they have been fine with me all the way but I will keep Bickets in mind as well as Livingstones in Uddingston. Might visit the two of them this weekend and have a look.
What options did you guys go for? What options are must haves?
Alex

Last edited:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Ohhh man, I think I have fallen in love :D
Went to Livingstone's in Uddingston this afternoon to have a nosey around and at the front door there was a gorgeous red 2.0 ltr TDI Reference Sport with the BTCC/Aero Kit on it with 17" alloys and a Silver Leon FR behind it [B)] :clap: :thumbup:
Both are lovely looking car and when I sat in it, it looked and felt very nice which is good as pictures of the interior of the Leon had put me off slightly as it looked dark and rather bland, but actually in 'real' life its not too bad. The sales person (Alex) was really nice and we had a quick chat about it and what we could do but in the end its probably best if I wait a while longer before deciding seeing as my current car is relatively new and I would get hit with a big loss if I was to trade it in now (anyone know the winning lottery numbers for tonight yet?? :D)
The TDI was all spec up and had Bluetooth, the iPod kit and the spare wheel too and it was what I wanted, but like I said it might be a case of waiting and see how things go before I take the plunge (despite the red being absolutely gorgeous, I think I would go for the black as my parents have gone through a selection of red cars over the past 20 years......)
Also, would it better to go for the 18" or the 17" on the Leon? The 17" seem to fill out the wheel arches quite nicely but maybe the guy got it wrong and they were indeed the 18" Anyone got pics of both?
Thanks for the advice and all the information on the forum, I will be hanging around just looking for now.
Alex

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
alx
i went to the same dealer not that long ago got a rubbish trade in price for my car, told them i would sell it myself but still only could get £500 of the list price, went down south and got £1k of instead, the btcc car is nice and i am sure when i looked @ it they were 18" alloys fitted to the red car.nice motor but went for the FR Tdi instead.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
alx
i went to the same dealer not that long ago got a rubbish trade in price for my car, told them i would sell it myself but still only could get £500 of the list price, went down south and got £1k of instead, the btcc car is nice and i am sure when i looked @ it they were 18" alloys fitted to the red car.nice motor but went for the FR Tdi instead.

Yea? The guy had a look at the 'bible' for car prices and could not find my Coupe in it (must of been an old copy) so was going to give me £8500-£9000 for a trade in :(
The alloys on the red Leon by the front door (just as you walk into the showroom) looked like 18" to me but I wasn't sure but like you said its a nice motor. Might have a wonder down to Bickets tomorrow and have a gander.
Alex

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
the guys at Livingstones are nice guys but as you say and i have experienced too they do not give the best prices. Bickets will do you a much better deal. Ask for Colin and tell him I sent you

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
the guys at Livingstones are nice guys but as you say and i have experienced too they do not give the best prices. Bickets will do you a much better deal. Ask for Colin and tell him I sent you

I will keep that in mind, I was going to pop down to Bickets today but then I found out that they were open from 1-5 today :(
Like I said before it might be another 6-8 months before I do anything as changing my car now would just leave me out of pocket, might just go and drool at the TDI RS with the kit and the FR anyways :D
Alex
p.s. I can't believe at 29 I am thinking of getting a diesel....so much for a rock and roll lifestyle :D

sonnycat

ref leon

hi had mine 7 weeks now leon tdi reference sport btcc edition in silver go for it you wont regret a thing chris

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
Also, would it better to go for the 18" or the 17" on the Leon? The 17" seem to fill out the wheel arches quite nicely but maybe the guy got it wrong and they were indeed the 18" Anyone got pics of both?
Thanks for the advice and all the information on the forum, I will be hanging around just looking for now.
Alex

I've got the 18's matey - fit like a glove - just make sure you get quality tyres, I have the Pirelli's which make a massive differnece to the ride quality!

IMG_3497.jpg

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I've got the 18's matey - fit like a glove - just make sure you get quality tyres, I have the Pirelli's which make a massive differnece to the ride quality!

IMG_3497.jpg

Thanks for the pics mate! Those alloys do look sweet! Pirelli's are very good tyres in my opinion, I currently have 17" PZERO NERO's on my Coupe and they grip the road really well.
Now where is that lottery ticket :D
Alex

ibizasport16v

Oct 22, 2006
Clydebank
alex mate try the arnold clark in paisley, i was offered 3800 for my car at the phoniex retail park @ suzuki, went and saw the seat garage in paisley and got 4600 for my astra with a massive dent in the wing, and the book price was about 4500, plus its the end of the month, they will do anything for a sale

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
alex mate try the arnold clark in paisley, i was offered 3800 for my car at the phoniex retail park @ suzuki, went and saw the seat garage in paisley and got 4600 for my astra with a massive dent in the wing, and the book price was about 4500, plus its the end of the month, they will do anything for a sale

Yea, but I have only had my car since Feb so I stand to lose a lot of money if I traded it in now. Besides, with Christmas coming up its not really a great time financially at the moment. But will keep on looking. I know a guy who works at AC in Paisley though so it might be worth a call ;)
Alex