Help / advice needed please

Dave208

Hi all,
I've just purchased a seat ibiza tdi fr and I love it but the steering is very hit and miss.
Sometimes it's light, others it's rock solid........ I'm guessing that's not normal.

I've just had the battery out and checked the power steering fluid and it was totally empty, and looking underneath it seems to be coming out from the rack (on the black rubber boot bit)

My question is, is this likely to need a new rack ? Or do they sometimes leak ?

I'm starting to panic as I spent everything I had on the car......

What sort of price am I looking at and has anyone got any suggestions

Thank you very much

Dave

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If it's really bad then it'll more than likely need a new rack, no idea about price though. If it's just a bit of seepage you might be able to use some kind of leak stopper but you'll have to make sure it's compatable with the vag powersteering fluid.:)

Dave208

I got it from a private seller......
I've topped up the fluid but looking at the rack it's coming out rapidly, I'm hoping it's something minor which isn't going to cost a fortune....... If it looks like it's a new rack which seems to be about 500quid id be sad to day the cat will have to go..... I'd have no choice but to stick it through the auction to try and recoup some of the money....

Not looking good

Dave208

Hi,
car has been checked and its got a knackered rack which is going to have to be changed......
Can anyone give me an idea what this is likely to cost ?

Is it as long / hard job to fit ? Or its the main cost the rack.....

Talking of the rack, which one should I get ?
Any suggestions for a 2005 tdi fr

Thanks all

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I wonder where companies who recondition racks get their bits from, I wouldn't mind having a go at doing mine.:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise