Help! Brake lights gone

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hi all

I've got a 2002 face lift LC.

My brake lights have stopped working at my tail lights. The offside light went yesterday then the near side light went today. The tail lights still work.

The strange thing is that the high level brake light still works.

I've checked the bulbs and fuses and all are ok. Does anyone think his the dreaded brake switch failure? The reason I ask is that I find it strange the high level break light still works? Could this suggest the brake light switch is ok after all?

Quick response appreciated as I plan to try and fix it this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

CMC

Last edited:

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Cheers for the quick response towcester I thought as much. You reckon that it's still the switch even with the high level light working?

Cmc

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Cheers for the quick response towcester I thought as much. You reckon that it's still the switch even with the high level light working?

Cmc

Sorry for the bump guys. Does anyone reckon the switch could have gone but the high level brake light could still be working? Just don't want to change it over and it's not the switch.

Cheers

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
My brake lights went the other day with the high level light still working. I had the glow plug light flashing though with a brake light implausable signal error code.
Have you changed the bulbs, sometimes they look ok but they have blown.

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Cheers guys. Yes, I changed all the bulbs and checked the brake light fuse. The tail lights work which makes me think that it's not the contact plates.

I don't have a code reader so reckon I'll need to take the chance on the brake light switch. Off to ECP then.....

Cheers

Cmc

Nov 4, 2012
Callington Cornwall
Cheers guys. Yes, I changed all the bulbs and checked the brake light fuse. The tail lights work which makes me think that it's not the contact plates.

I don't have a code reader so reckon I'll need to take the chance on the brake light switch. Off to ECP then.....

Cheers

Cmc

Get yourself a cheap code reader, I got one off eBay for 13 quid that I leave in the car. Not as good as vagcom but does the job