HELP! Car won't start after instrument cluster removal

Wheelspin

Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, I've made a massive **** up this afternoon. A few weeks ago the speaker on my instrument cluster failed and having silent indicators was starting to annoy me, so I've just taken the cluster out to replace the speaker. Having put the cluster back in, I now have the PAS, ABS and airbag warning lights showing, and the immobiliser light flashing. The car also won't start. It turns over on the starter motor but won't fire; I presume this is related to the immobiliser.

I know, I know, I should have disconnected the battery before I started. Lesson learnt!

If anyone has any ideas on what's happened or what I can do about it, they would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

P2ULW

Nov 7, 2009
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
First task is to see what the error code is and work from there.

The little bits of knowledge I can share are that the ECU is aware of the id of the instrument cluster and that if the ecu has a coding fault it will prevent the car from starting. (Usually a P0601 checksum error).

Wheelspin

Feb 1, 2015
A mate who's got VCDS has just been round to read the codes. There were a load of codes for various modules not communicating with the cluster. I've just cleaned all the contacts in the plugs and removed the speaker I soldered in earlier and now it seems fine. I put the cluster back in and it started straight away. I think I'll just put up with silent indicators!

Thanks for the help. :)

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
good to see you got the car running again. im thinking of paying £80 to have the speaker treplaced on mine

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
A mate who's got VCDS has just been round to read the codes. There were a load of codes for various modules not communicating with the cluster. I've just cleaned all the contacts in the plugs and removed the speaker I soldered in earlier and now it seems fine. I put the cluster back in and it started straight away. I think I'll just put up with silent indicators!

Thanks for the help. :)

Personally I'd rather have silent indicators pal. And no annoying bong or Bing or ding or dong when the car is been pathetic and throwing a hissy fit when temp gets to 4c outside and fuel gets low or some random crap like that, lol.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
The little bits of knowledge I can share are that the ECU is aware of the id of the instrument cluster and that if the ecu has a coding fault it will prevent the car from starting.
is there a way around this?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.