Help! Deciding between these two cars?

Nick G

I've had loads of help and advice here over the past few days so thanks all that have responded - i've finally decided we're going to go for the FR TDi (170) and rule out the idea of going for the Petrol version.... Our annual mileage is likely to increase as we'll have our baby by June and will be trekking up and down seeing family in the next few years.

The problem I have is now deciding which one to go for....

I've decided it must be 08 or newer, and 20k or less.

Do i go for this private one (Bluetooth, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors etc): http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201008353502854/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/11000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/price-to/14000/model/leon/make/seat/page/1/radius/1500/keywords/bluetooth/postcode/rg142rn?logcode=p

OR

FR550 Ltd edition from a Trader? (No mention of Bluetooth, Heated seats etc) - Take it these weren't standard on an FR550?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201010354314028/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/price-to/14000/price-from/11000/model/leon/make/seat/radius/1500/page/5/postcode/rg142rn?logcode=p

My theory is that i may be able to negotiate the private one as it's a bit expensive considering traders are selling them for the same or a tad less, i was hoping maybe i could get it down to £13,400 / £13,500 ideally?

Do i go for the standard FR with the toys, or an FR550 without?

Sooo many decisions :-(

John007

Apr 17, 2005
Cambs
The first FR certainly had the option list thown at it.

The 550 will not have these extra's at standard, only diffence is wheels, seats and boot badge.

I would go for the fully loaded Fr as the winter pack is great.

Rob100

If it was me, I'd want to have a look at them both and buy the one that I felt was the best, but if its 50/50 then go for the one with the options!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Both have haggling room but the first FR has a few more toys is priced a little high though so you may well be able to knock them down. FR550 is nice as well a tough decision but go and have a look at both as well.

Nick G

Yeah i think the Private one should come down a bit in price, it's slightly over-priced for a private sale anyway i think?? I would hope to pay £13,500 tops for it really....

I can't see the dealer dropping down more then £100 or so on the FR550? They don't seem to negotiate well on price as they have a huge market of buyers.

Rob100

What' the big deal about heated seats?? IMO its not worth it unless the seats are leather:)

I've never had either heated or leather seats on a car, but on a cold morning I can see the appeal of warming my bum up regardless of what sort of seats I have!

Now, what I'd fancy is a heated steering wheel or a heated front windscreen like Ford makes...

1mmey

The first FR certainly had the option list thown at it.

The 550 will not have these extra's at standard, only diffence is wheels, seats and boot badge.

I would go for the fully loaded Fr as the winter pack is great.

Seond this - Bluetooth is a wonderful gadget, and the winter pack will pay for itself.

Nick G

Yeah the Private car seems to be the better option just with the spec alone!

It's surprising but most of the 08 cars i've found at Traders seem to only have the 18's as the only option, makes me wonder if a lot of them were fleet cars or something....

1mmey

Also by getting the one with the extra features, you should get your money back at the other end, if you come to sell it.
I agree - If only they made such a windscreen like ford!!!

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I think the 550 could be had for a cheaper price, I got £300 knocked off my 550, same plate but mine only had 2700 miles on it and I paid £13700 :)

Danny.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I've never had either heated or leather seats on a car, but on a cold morning I can see the appeal of warming my bum up regardless of what sort of seats I have!

Now, what I'd fancy is a heated steering wheel or a heated front windscreen like Ford makes...

Heated seats are ok but if you leave them on too long it feels like you have wet yourself!

1mmey

i suppose the argument is now money vs features Nick G - if you think you can get a chunk knocked off the 550, it might sway you to go for that and save the bit extra!
However, i'd personally go for the fully loaded still ;) but either way you won;t be disappointed.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
no need for heated seats unless leather, blue tooth great if you cant live with out your phone, reverse sensors would be good, fr550 better seats and wheels, but if it was me I would go for the best conduction and looked after car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.