help! do you need new wheel bolts if you are changing from steel wheels to alloys??

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
hi, ive recently changed my standard steel wheels on my ibiza 1.2s for some alloy wheels off the ibiza 1.2 sx. i have been told the origonal bolts cannot be used as they wont hold the wheels on properly and may come off!? is this true? do i have to buy a specific set of new wheel nuts for alloys wheels? are they somehow different to nuts for alloy wheels? please help! im a bit reluctant to drive anywhere untill i know for sure!

ant49

Dec 11, 2009
hi, ive recently changed my standard steel wheels on my ibiza 1.2s for some alloy wheels off the ibiza 1.2 sx. i have been told the origonal bolts cannot be used as they wont hold the wheels on properly and may come off!? is this true? do i have to buy a specific set of new wheel nuts for alloys wheels? are they somehow different to nuts for alloy wheels? please help! im a bit reluctant to drive anywhere untill i know for sure!

Yeah, usually need to buy nuts with a flanged head, steel wheel bolts can be pulled through the alloy holes and the wheel comes off.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yep, you do need new bolts. However, if you have a friendly Seat dealer you can get them very cheap. I went in for some bolts to replace some knackered locking nuts, he sold me a set of 5 (1 per wheel and 1 spare) for 15p each. He put 'windscreen washer fluid' on the receipt!

They had a box of leftover bolts from various wheel upgrades, locking nut fittings, etc. And they're all perfectly fine. Even if they don't have all sixteen, at least you can get some cheap then pay full price for the others.

I did have to take in one of my existing ones so they made sure I had the right ones, there were black and silver ones of two different lengths. I'm guessing the colour might relate to them being for alloys or steels?

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
they are standard alloys off the sx version. so is it dangerous to be driving with the steel wheel bolts in? i have seen some on ebay, but i dont know if i need this tapered head malarky! help!

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
p.s im gettin all the tyres changed on tuesdy so if i buy some new ones the guy at the place can put them all on for me i suppose?

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
you sure?? (not knocking your knowledge or anything but as you can imagine....i dont want the wheels falling off!!) the origonal steel wheel bolts are 100% ok as the new wheels are genuine seat off the sx.

cheers

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
I changed my standard wheels to seat sport wheels and kept the same bolts. My wheels haven't fallen off yet.

(touch wood)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You are fine and dont need new bolts then as the standard alloys have radius seats anyway.

I'll back up that fact, my wife's Polo and my Passat both have alloys and a steel spare - and I've checked ETOS as I'm thinking about putting VW 14" steels on the Polo with winter/snow tyres - and there are only one type/length of bolts. But if you were to fit some VAG wheel from another marque, Audi for instance, then you might just need longer bolts.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
t_bolttypes.jpg

This is a picture of different types of wheel bolts. Vag cars generally come with radius seats, but lots of aftermarket wheels come with taper seats. So as you have used genuine vag wheels you are fine.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Wheels will bolt on fine with the wrong seated bolts. You will just end up damaging the wheels. Its easy to take out one bolt and see whether the seat in the wheel is a taper or a radius anyway.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Well if they fitted alright.

As said above they will fit, but you dont have full contact between the bolt seat and the wheel if they are wrong, which means they may not torque up correctly and the wheel may come loose.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
standard wise both alloy and steel bolts are the same M14x1.5x27

when you fit different wheels check the seat taper etc to be sure

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Sorry to drag up an old thread, just like the OP i have got myself some SX alloys for my beeza 'S'. Just to confirm, i will be able to use the original wheel bolts that i have safely. Is this correct?

Also, does anybody know:

- the part number for the bolts (Nothing wrong with getting new ones)
- part number for a set of locking wheel bolts, which aren't too long.

TIA