Help for those with sticking calipers/ handbrake

Mar 8, 2007
Hi all I am a Fabia VRS owner since it is the same platform I thought some of you might have the same problem with the rear caliper (especially the O/S) sticking on.

See this thread:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/handbrake-cable-issue-my-vrs/154579/2/

It involves fitting a small spring to the rear of the caliper. They are from an A3 I believe and cost about £1.90 per side, they ensure the lever comes back to its stop.

part numbers:

1k0 615 295 left spring
1k0 615 296right spring

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, I have been there before and just ended up buying maybe earlier Golf springs - but could not fit them. I knew that the Passat B5 ones would not work as its callipers are "on the other side" so the springs would be no good. Right, well its down to a parts place for me - anything is worth trying! Incidently, even this morning I had a quick glance at a new A3 just to see which "side" the rear callipers were mounted on.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Anyone taken up this potential fix for dragging rear disc brakes yet? I've fitted the "1K0" springs to my wife's Polo 9N - and detailed what I've done on Briskoda - if anyone is interested.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A change of plan, on the advice/report of somone on Briskoda fitting Galaxy springs, I went and bought the same thing ie a pair of "7M0" springs from VW (from a Sharan) but you could get the same springs from Seat (from an Alamb?a). These springs are a far better fit than the "1K0" Golf/A3 springs - ie a lot less tension when fitted - so the handbrake action does not get too heavy after this mod.

Just one thing, if anyone does feel the need to fit these external handbrake lever return springs, then bear in mine that the coil should be facing the front and that the brake wear sensor wire's mounting grommet (if fitted) needs to be moved out of the way and this grommet needs to be lossely fixed to the spring coil using a cable tie. For any one that doubts if this mod is relevant or required, I'd ask the question, why have the Fabia VRS folk considered the need to work out that this mod is "good", some have even replaced the O/S rear calliper and still had lever "sticking" problems. Personally, I'd discovered this problem when the wife's Polo 9N 2003MY was only about 9 months old, but turned down the dealer's offer to replace the calliper, and eventually went my own way to try to sort this by using a Passat B5 return spring - that was a complete failure, so I just nursed the car along by cleaning out and resetting the rear pistons every 12 months. Ther is nothing unique about the rear callipers fitted to the Fabia VRS and/or the Polo 9N.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
A change of plan, on the advice/report of somone on Briskoda fitting Galaxy springs, I went and bought the same thing ie a pair of "7M0" springs from VW (from a Sharan) but you could get the same springs from Seat (from an Alamb?a). These springs are a far better fit than the "1K0" Golf/A3 springs - ie a lot less tension when fitted - so the handbrake action does not get too heavy after this mod.

I have just fitted the 1K0 springs - but to reduce the tension - I have straightened out the kink in each arm so it is straight.

Now the tension on the handbrake is nice and the levers are held off nicely.

The overall brakes now feel better - probably because the handbrake is releasing fully and allowing the self adjustment to happen correctly.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To any one reading this, for what its worth, I'd stick with using the Galaxy or Alambra (7M0) springs. Straightening a tempered spring is kind of asking for trouble as these springs will have been shaped before tempering so they will now be weaker at the "re-bend" points. Think about it, if you need to fit this mod then you have a choice, buy and fit and forget the "7M0" springs, or buy, fit, remove and reshape the "1K0" springs, then refit a weakened spring.

Just bringing this up from the depths of last year - Is this a worthwhile mod for the Leon? I noticed last time under the car that the Leon doesn't even have these return springs on the calliper? Sometimes mine will stick on if it's been sat for a while.

Last edited:
Oh wait I found another thread regarding the Leon Rear calliper where you said:

I thought that the Leon/Golf had slightly different calipers - but if I remember correctly, these external "helper" springs are for that model of caliper although not fitted to these cars. What you are describing is exactly similar to what to what was being discussed in this topic. If anyone with this problem on an Ibiza/Polo/Fabia removed the tension or removed the handbrake cable completely, then the brakes would still drag. One thing to check though is the direction of rotation of the handbrake lever as I think that is what is different on the Leon/Golf.

? Just wondering as I'd quite like to do this tomorrow if I can get the springs!

XPC91

Sep 14, 2010
Helensburgh
My cars booked in next Wed for a new cable and caliper!! Might have to get the mechanic to give this a go!

Thanks!!!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh wait I found another thread regarding the Leon Rear calliper where you said:

? Just wondering as I'd quite like to do this tomorrow if I can get the springs!

If your car is a "1K0" platform it should have these hnadbrake lever return springs fitted, if its not a "1K0" car then have a look at the Briskoda topic pictures and see if your callipers look like they could be fitted with these springs - different models mean that the callipers need to get fitted at different points so that might mean that the handbrake levers pull in th opposite direction which just, if I remember correctly, means that you fit the RHS spring to the LHS etc. Remember that the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza rear calliper is not positioned exactly the same way as the Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy - but it can be fitted in such a way as to work well.

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
I'm having this problem at the moment with my drivers side rear caliper. Are the A3 ones suitable? I've not got a SEAT dealership near to me, however I do have a VW/Audi dealer (even though they're 15 miles away!)

Do the

1k0 615 295 left spring
1k0 615 296right spring

part numbers still stand?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.