Help: FR TFSI Turbo

faisal1203

Mar 24, 2012
West Midlands
Went to see a Seat Leon FR TFSI today.

I don't know if it's because I was a passenger but the car didn't feel that fast to me. It could have possibly been the way the owner was driving but when he did put his foot down in 2nd and 3rd gears it didn't really shift as much as I thought it would.

When does the turbo normally kick in?

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
I've got a TFSi 200 BHP DSG. In truth it isn't that fast - but I suppose its all relative.

It doesn't feel that fast 'cos the torque curve is quite flat, so its accelerating at a constant rate - which makes it feel slower. Its quite light pressure in boost so at least it doesn't have much lag. I also get to drive an FN2 Type R and even though its about the same performance it feels faster and sounds much better.

The engine was upgraded to the MK 6 Golf GTi late '09. 208 BHP, a lot less CO2 and better MPG.

Sounds like you should be looking at a Cupra!

EDIT - I've been driving some 500 BHP Jag's at a track event recently so anything normal feels slow

Last edited:

faisal1203

Mar 24, 2012
West Midlands
Haha yeah that's why it probably feels slow to u!

Running costs in the Cupra are too much mate. Most likely still getting the FR TFSI. Hopefully a remap should do the job?

Geordie_Paul

Jan 19, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Yeah a remap should do the job... to be honest I've had my pre-facelift for a few months now and I still don't get sick of the pick up in 2nd and 3rd gear... still sometimes just puts a smile on my face!! Depends what you're used to driving though I expect... I went from an old 1.8 Vectra Sxi haha

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Still loving my preFL tfsi fr
Brilliant machine and lovely to see other "fast" cars fall back as they have to switch gears manually...while I flick a paddle :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Find a dealer with a couple in stock and have a drive yourself. Mine feels pretty quick to me, 2nd and 3rd pull like a train. I have driven my friends 08 GTi and my FR is easily as fast possibly faster - get yourself a test drive you will love it.

Rob

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
If you do get one deffo go for a remap as the S H A R K map we had on our petrol FR turned it into a different beast with proper push you back in your seat acceleration.
I never tried in on a dyno but it must have been close to the 240bhp that S H A R K claim.
Also didn't get the chance to race a stock Cupra..shame..bet it would've beaten one off the lights with the DSG though..!

P.S. If anyone on here buys DA57GPV from this dealer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221041970...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_964wt_1185 , pm me if you want to save some cash as I've still got the STS tuning box with the S H A R K map on there...sorry to the mods if that's not allowed btw..

Last edited:

davyboy

FR TFSI
Dec 18, 2007
Sheffield
You sure about that? What are the quoted figures after a stage one remap on a FR then?
PHP:

Stock mk2 p/f Cupra 240bhp and 221lb/ft
Stock mk2 p/f fr 200bhp and 206lb/ft

Bluefin claim 240bhp and 246lb/ft
Revo claim between 235bhp and 260bhp and between 50 and 80lb/ft gain but i would guess that Revo is the more powerfull than the Bluefin as is often talked about on these forums, not sure about other software and in real world driving terms little between stock Cupra and stage 1 FR.

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
A remapped FR ( newer TSI engine) is definatly quicker than a Cupra. Torque is the bigger factor in races, not horsepower. Standard cupra - 236hp, 300nm. Remapped FR ( old Tfsi) ~245hp, 330nm.
New FR ( TSI engine) ~260hp, 377nm of torque... coupled with the DSG box a cupra has no chance.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Back on topic there was probably something up with the car - the FR isn't blindingly quick but it's no slouch.

FWIW my FR has (according to AmDs RR, which I believe is optimistic!) 260 from Revo stage 1 and a Twintake. Point is you can do a lot to it.

Just remember to factor in insurance costs for mods.

kroni

Jul 21, 2014
Will be moving over to the TFSI FR from my much loved 170 TDI FR. On the test drive of the TFSI it didnt seem to be as quick as my CR but the cars on the side of the road moved by alot faster. I think the speed is deceiving and cant wait to take ownership. 2 days to go :)

hayesey

I've recently bought an fr tfsi too. When I first drove it I felt underwhelmed by the performance. But I think there is a lot in the way it delivers power. Its very smooth and delivers its power at a steady pace rather than in a surge at some point in the rpm range. This makes it feel slower than it actually is, if you floor it through 2nd and 3rd on say a motorway slip road and keep your eye on the speedo youll probably find its picking up speed quicker than you think just going off the feel.

In comparison to an older less refined turbocharged petrol engine where you get a sudden rush of torque at a certain rpm. Feels quicker but actually isnt.

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
It's probably all about power delivery curves and all that bollox..
I miss the smooth power and acceleration of our old TFSI FR as our current CR170 FR delivers it differently, but it still feels quick when you want it to be.
50mpg as opposed to 30mpg makes up for it though..

kroni

Jul 21, 2014
Have now got my 200BHP tfsi FR. But im only 2 days in and cant get into the passenger side front door from the outside. I have tried pressing the unlock button 2/3 and even 4 times and still nothing. Am I missing something simple or is there a fault with the door? Its booked in at the garage for thursday morning but if I can fix it myself I wont have to go without for the day.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.