help mpg

graham463

Apr 12, 2010
tewkesbury
hi all i have a bit of a prob with my leon fr tdi i can only seem to get 38.9 mpg out of it i took it out for a long motorway run and struggled to get 39.9 it seems to be down on power, it still goes well and there is know faults in the system. has anyone else had this fault

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
over all I only get 39.4 this is mixed driving, my wifes renault megane 15 dti is only 41-42
mpg so don't think yours is far out, it says in the had book combine 50mpg but it will be hard to get this mpg, some people will claim they get about 50 mph but would take this with a pinch of salt I am however talking about combined mph.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Ive just done about average of 70 - 65 mph all the way from barnsley to liverpool and only just managed 50mpg, i find that any speed over 70 and the mpg on our dirty diesels drops unproportionatly, try setting your cruise on 65 for a long journey and see what you get.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Around 40 mpg seems about right for the PD engine. I had a pre FL 2005 BMW 120d 163 and that did around 39 mpg for similar power.

My CR FR is avg 50 mpg and will do 55mpg on a motorway run and even urban runs it only drops to 47.

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
the most economic way to drive it around 60mph as you go over that your mpg will drop, check things like tyre pressures and the like. I did a run from cardiff to leeds and was a steady 80 all the way, i only averaged 41mpg which i dont think is bad

Last edited:

goku52

Aug 28, 2009
Mpg

i've driven my car which is a 08 seat leon FR and i've managed to do 53mpg
which isnt bad since the book says its shud do 47mpg lol

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I Managed to get 50.1 mog today on a 90 Mile round trip doing around 60mpg the whole way :D:D

Previously my best was 46mpg and i usually average 44mpg now

This is without the DPF BTW,Previously with the DPF my best was 39mpg :cry:

CanIHaveALogin

Yeah as everyone is saying that sounds about right!

I recently traded in my Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDi, i could normally manage around the 50mpg mark, for a 57 Leon FR PD170 and i'm only getting about 39/40 mpg out of it. I have found if you take it easy on A roads, 50-60 you should be able to get it up into the 50's but any faster and you will struggle.

Also, if you're aiming for best fuel consumption, don't use Cruise Control, it's a lot more aggressive with the accelerator than your foot can be.

One other strange thing i did find since driving it was that i always expected a 6 Speed gearbox to give you a good cruising gear to bump up your mpg over motorway driving but at times i find it more economical to leave it in 5th! Not sure on your experiences but i've only had it for a month or so now so just getting to grips with it.

Your best bet, or what i do anyway, is having the heads up display showing the 'live' mpg figures and match your foot position and gear choices to mpg and you'll soon find you can adapt your driving style to get the most out of it. But be warned, booting it out of roundabouts is a sure fire way to make them figures go down! :whistle:

Elsputnik

I commute every day and with 59 plate fr diesel average 41 mpg. Unfortunately I love 3rd gear so much its nearly always more like 38-39. Cruise control on the M1 and careful gear change in traffic i can get 48-50 but jsut cant do it very often.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i now average about 43-45 youve really just got to learn to stay off boost as much as possible

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
My CR FR is avg 50 mpg and will do 55mpg on a motorway run and even urban runs it only drops to 47.

MY '10 CR FR DSG is averaging about 38-42. im hoping it loosens up with a few miles under its belt. currently is still under 1500 miles on the clock.
once it was past 600 miles is started upping the pace and now i generally 'give it some' at some point on the way to/from work so im hapy enough for now but i want to see 50 mpg at some point soonish.

the last tank of fuel (worked out properly with maths not the MFD) was about 33mpg but i was nailing a lot of that tankful, playing with paddle change a lot and sport mode on DSG.

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I've not had 55mpg yet on a single trip but have made 50

I've worked my average over a tank however to be only around 43mpg!

After 10, 20k on the clock this might get better I hope.

I think the DSG model had slightly worse mpg according to the spec sheet

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.