Help needed: intermittent backfiring loosing cylinder

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Hi guys, help needed please. My engine recently started sounding like it was running on less cylinders for a few seconds but would sort itself out. was able to drive and boost no problem. Coils were changed 8 months ago for BOSCH genuine ones after they failed following a stage 1 remap.

Tonight it done it again but flashing engine light, sulfuric/ oily/ gas smell and hesitation and juddering, car was running on less cylinders again. Turned car off 10 mins later started and it was fine again. Its difficult to diagnose with the problem being so intermittent. Could the coils have died that quick?

Even though the check engine light was flashing my OBD reader didnt throw me any codes so i cant even tell which cylinder it is.

Could it be that it is a spark plug rather than an ignition coil as i changed them fair recently?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Hi guys, help needed please. My engine recently started sounding like it was running on less cylinders for a few seconds but would sort itself out. was able to drive and boost no problem. Coils were changed 8 months ago for BOSCH genuine ones after they failed following a stage 1 remap.

Tonight it done it again but flashing engine light, sulfuric/ oily/ gas smell and hesitation and juddering, car was running on less cylinders again. Turned car off 10 mins later started and it was fine again. Its difficult to diagnose with the problem being so intermittent. Could the coils have died that quick?

Even though the check engine light was flashing my OBD reader didnt throw me any codes so i cant even tell which cylinder it is.

Could it be that it is a spark plug rather than an ignition coil as i changed them fair recently?
Pull the plugs and check them out. I had same sort of problem and wouldn't throw a code till I really pushed it. Was a coil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Pull the plugs and check them out. I had same sort of problem and wouldn't throw a code till I really pushed it. Was a coil.

Iam a bit of a noob to be honest, do the plugs need to be gapped correctly and torqued if so i'm not sure i have the tool for that.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Iam a bit of a noob to be honest, do the plugs need to be gapped correctly and torqued if so i'm not sure i have the tool for that.
Tbh I've never gapped a plug and mine runs absolutely fine. Torque is what it is...tight but don't break them lol.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.