Help needed -- Preston/Lancashire

mikeholroyd

Hi, can someone please help me?

Based in preston, but willing to travel to get help.

Just got a Leon mark 1, and want it setting up on vagcom.

I' no stranger to vcds/vagcom, and I already have a microCAN lead that I use on my octavia, but this isn't suitable for the leon.

So, anyone out there with a hex can that will help me out, please?

Just basic settings I want looking at, such as taking off the single door central locking, activating the drive away locks, and activating the day running lights.

Many thanks, beer money/box of biscuits/can of oil for anyone willing to help out.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeholroyd

i could have a look, ive got vagcom and i live near southport;)

That would be great, thanks. I'm in New Longton, where abouts are you?Could you PM me your email address and phone number please? I haven't enough posts to send PMs yet!
Thanks again
Mike

mikeholroyd

You beat me to it!
Have a look at the link above, all will be revealed in here.

Now a few days since this was done, and no problems whatsoever with the way things are working.

My wife was following me in the Leon the other day when we were taking it down to get the timing belt done, and I'm now even more convinced of the benefits of DRLs now. The Leon is in gunmetal grey, obviously not a colour that stands out, but with dipped headlights on when its running, it now can't be missed, even in bright sunshine.

Everything sorted following the cambelt change, just need the throttle body aligning now. Met up with John from Southport (mrvavavoom) last night (lovely yellow peril you've got there, John, really bonny motor) but unfortunately his lead wouldn't connect to my car. No ideas why on this one..... Keep in touch with news of your new lead when you get it, please!

Mike

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Dont mean to put a downer on this but isnt it pretty pointless? i mean you can just turn your lights on and off with a switch? unless you have no arms and why would you realisticly need you lights on during the day anyway? thay sun pretty much has the job of being able to see in the day covered???

mikeholroyd

Dont mean to put a downer on this but isnt it pretty pointless? i mean you can just turn your lights on and off with a switch? unless you have no arms and why would you realisticly need you lights on during the day anyway? thay sun pretty much has the job of being able to see in the day covered???

I take your point, but especially with the dark grey colour of my Leon, I particularly want the lights on at all times. It has been proved time and time over with Volvo studies that DRLs have played a major role in reducing accidents caused by lack of visibility, so much so that DRLS have been a legal requirement in Scandanavia for years. Also, all new cars sold in the UK from 2011 onwards will have to have DRLs as standard by law, as the legislation will become Europe wide then. So more and more cars will be running about with headlights on, and human nature being what it is, more and more people will EXPECT a moving car to have its lights on. Myself or my wife will then come along the road, with no lights on, for some numpty not to see us, with the inevitable happening. For the sake of a couple of relays and an hours work, I'm looking at it at preserving both ourselves and the car intact!

The project to put DRLs on the Leon was initially going to be a 30 second job altering a setting with VAGCOM, as I already did within an hour of collecting my Skoda Octavia, but escalated into a bigger job when I found that you can't use VAGCOM to do this on this age of vehicle. My request for help in the local area is purely because I only have a Ross Tech microCAN lead which can only be used on later CAN based models, not my 2002 Leon

Mike

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
im in lancaster and have a lead and full vagcom, your more than welcome to come and use it.

PM me if you want to travel up and use them.

Thanks

Jonny

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
old topic alert.

mike,
you mention that you could on your skoda via vag-com but not on your age of leon, 2002.
Could you put up the details used to change the octavia, and i'll see they work on an 04 leon.

if not possible, I'll have to go down your other mentioned route.

cheers.

mikeholroyd

Hi, the lead I have is the microCAN Ross Tech, which can only be used for the later CAN based models based on Golf 5 technology, including the octavia 2. Unfortunately, the mark 1 Leon is based on earlier technology, and is not CAN based, and because of that my lead is not even recognised when it is plugged in, let alone able to alter any settings etc. It won't even let me in on a friends mark 1 Octavia.

I've had to source and borrow a hex+can from a fellow Briskoda member, as my lead is totally useless when working with the Leon

Sorry!

As far as the DRLs go, I asked Hobin Seat in Preston to see if they could get into the system and alter things as I've done on the Skoda, but there isn't a facility even provided for this, with or without the correct lead. The only way of sorting DRLs is going to be the hard wired relay system. (And note the edited instructions regarding the diodes needed in the sidelight circuit)

For later CAN based models, the setting is in controller 46, select Scandanavian for front and rear lights on all the time with ignition, or North American for dipped front heads on whenever the handbrake is off.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.