HELP needed - What's this noise?

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
2 springs in and out in about 30 mins on the driveway just need to jack the vehicle up place the rear on axle stands place the jack underneath the bottom arm and take the weight of the spring remove the lower bolt on the shock absorber and slowly lower the jack pull the arm down and pull the spring out. to fit just pull down place the spring in line it up jack the bottom arm until the strut bolt lines up tighten it by hand the first thread or two to prevent cross threading then tighten it fully, lower the jack check the bolt is still tight and repeat on the other side.

I never thought it would be that easy but you're right, it is!
This vid covers the method you described above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYzTyjM4SM

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
I never thought it would be that easy but you're right, it is!
This vid covers the method you described above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYzTyjM4SM

Indeed it is very simple job dangerous if not done correctly but I wouldn't rate it as any harder than changing your pads, For anyone doing the job just a few tips make sure the rubber mounts are in good order as this is the perfect time to replace them, Lubricate both the top and bottom mount to with lithium grease this will help dampen and unwanted noise, If you are struggling to remove the spring removing the road wheel and using a large prybar (best option) bodyweight (will do in a pinch) to push down the lower arm to help removal/reassembly.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Indeed it is very simple job dangerous if not done correctly but I wouldn't rate it as any harder than changing your pads, For anyone doing the job just a few tips make sure the rubber mounts are in good order as this is the perfect time to replace them, Lubricate both the top and bottom mount to with lithium grease this will help dampen and unwanted noise, If you are struggling to remove the spring removing the road wheel and using a large prybar (best option) bodyweight (will do in a pinch) to push down the lower arm to help removal/reassembly.

Nice one! Thanks for the heads up here. It does look really simple. I think I'll ask around for a few prices first and then go from there. As for the coloured dots on the spring, I'll have a look later and see if I can spot them.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Rear coil springs for my car (Sachs): £51.54 per unit, free delivery at Eurocarparts.
£88 sounds a bit steep.
Dave @ Sere beat my local dealers by a large amount for some car parts, even with the postage costs Dave was still cheaper.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members