Help Please -Battery/Alternator Charging Issue

devilishbird

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help!! I'll apologise for the novel but hopefully it will give a clear picture. Basically brough a Cordoba 1.9 TDI 2003 last month. The day after getting it home it wouldn't start, dead as a dodo - just my luck!

Other half said alternator as battery was fine and he had taken the alternator to bits to check so ordered new innards and he fitted it back together, placed back on car and its been running absolutley perfect until a few days ago....

Parked up in supermarket car park went off did my shopping came back only been gone 20 mins or so. Anyway started car and it hesitated to turn over, thought thats strange, turned over again and started fine, thought perhaps gotten cold.

So off I trundle gets to the first bend approx 2 miles from where I was started slowing down and on pops the ABS/Traction control lights and my seat belt light, ok so I thought right well I have my seat belt on, started accelerating seat belt light went off but ABS/Traction stayed on. Ok so I'll get it home and look at it, next bend I get to slowed down and suddenly all lights come on the dash then the handbrake light starts flashing and beeping, not a happy car!

Managed to limp home with no lights, no indicators or hazards, no wipers, no radio etc

Thought maybe this time alternator has finally given up the ghost! Anyway ordered new shiny one it arrived yesterday, put on today.

Back to square one as its not charging up the battery, checked all the fuses they all seem fine......

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look, check etc as both my oh and I have no idea and no electric wiring diagrams!!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!!

devilishbird

Is that the blue and purple wires I read in someone elses post about abs lights and alternator issue?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Can't remember the colours but the are at the front of the gearbox. You'll probably find they've broken as they are usually cut too short from the factory.

devilishbird

Yep both blue and purple wires snapped at the connector!

devilishbird

Yes and battery whilst running is now a 14.5v

devilishbird

Lol where were u when I posted it first lol spent out on an alternator which wasnt needed!! Ah well its nice n shiny cheers though for your help :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members