Help Please EGR valve Seat Leon 1.6 TDI (2011)

master10

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I hope somebody can help, I have a Seat Leon Ecomotive 1.6 TDI (2011) with around 47000 miles on the clock. About a month ago I began getting intermittent flashing glow plug light and limp mode. I took it to the garage who said it may have been a one off and there shouldn't be an issue.

Well after a couple of weeks it occurred again and now I also have the engine management light and glow plug light flashing. I called the AA out who read the fault code as: P040300 : EGR Solenoid valve faulty operation.

I have booked it into Seat, but because it's out of warranty I've got a feeling it may be a costly repair (after the £99 diagnostics charge).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it. I read a few other posts where people have amanaged Seat UK to subsidise the cost of replacement, but just wanted to know if anyone has any more details?

Thanks in advance.

master10

Apr 20, 2016
Isn't it some thing like £260 then labour, another option is if you want more out of the car, DPF EGR delete and map

Thanks for the reply. Would you say its worth getting it replaced. What are the benefits/disadvantages of a delete and remap, not too familiar with the process.

Thanks

master10

Apr 20, 2016
without sounding rude... you must have more money than sense if you let them replace the egr. Just get it mapped out

No problem. Being the first time I'm not very clued up on mapping etc. Hence why I asked on here. I'm in Leeds do you know any recommended places to get the remap done? From my understanding the remap basically changes some engine parameters etc whereby the EGR is not used?

Thanks

master10

Apr 20, 2016
Also from what I have read, the remap would effectively disable the EM light. What would happen if another problem occurred, how would it be recognised?

linfordfr

nardo grey
Nov 9, 2015
south yorkshire
No problem. Being the first time I'm not very clued up on mapping etc. Hence why I asked on here. I'm in Leeds do you know any recommended places to get the remap done? From my understanding the remap basically changes some engine parameters etc whereby the EGR is not used?

Thanks

As unit said you'd be best of getting it mapped at the same time and get the dpf out before that causes you problems. Plenty of places not too far from you. Give me a pm if you need any recommendations

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
If you map it and delete the dpf though insurance will go up and depending on where you go there's a good chance of having issues with MOT going forwards if they keep cracking down on it.

Last edited:

linfordfr

nardo grey
Nov 9, 2015
south yorkshire

Dont need to look at the link as I can guess what its on about. Just saying dont get the poor lad wound up in all this that he'll struggle for a mot and his insurance will shove his wifes 12inch black rubber sambo up his rear.

I like many others are lucky enough to have a tester that turns a blind eye to things. Im sure if he wanted he could try a few places and ask what they'd do if he had it done, if he was concerd and went ahead that is

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about... this too.

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...emoval-air-pollution-department-for-transport

Not trying to panic anyone... I'm hoping to stage 1 map mine at some point, will need to inform insurance though and also think that long term DPF delete is going to end up a pain potentially, got to weigh it all up.

Could always map and EGR delete without doing a DPF removal though?

Last edited:
It's recommend to remove the DPF as disabled just the EGR with DPF in my lace can cause problems to the way it functions, also DPF unit needs removing when replacing the cooler etc, so whilst it's off I would just remove it

master10

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks all for the replies. I will take a look into remapping and see what is available local to me. I may end up repairing the car and buying a petrol instead. I don't do enough mileage anymore to warrant a diesel, which may only cause trouble in the future.

Thanks

Emma

Sep 21, 2018
Master 10
Did u go ahead with the egr delete and map.

I have exactly the same fault around same mileage on my 61 plate now.

Lots of people saying delete / blank egr n map out . However since your post new mot laws have come out and ive also been advised re maps etc can / will affect emmisions and no one knows if they will pass a mot.

Can anyone help?

Emma

Sep 21, 2018
It's recommend to remove the DPF as disabled just the EGR with DPF in my lace can cause problems to the way it functions, also DPF unit needs removing when replacing the cooler etc, so whilst it's off I would just remove it

Would it pass a mot though?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
You should be able to get EGR issues fixed for free by SEAT if you've had the emissions update done.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Probably cos the emissions update from Seat caused the EGR issues in the first place.

Loads of people have been complaining that the update caused them problems.

Emma

Sep 21, 2018
You should be able to get EGR issues fixed for free by SEAT if you've had the emissions update done.
Seat said they cant tell if mines had an update without doing a diagnostic at a cost of £30+vat

ryzie0212

Sep 18, 2018
Not sure if this will be of help, but i went through all of this process with my Ibiza fr 2lt tdi which i have just part ex’d. My understanding was a Seat dealer should be doing the emissions fix as its their software, thus your registration should be on their system and easy for them to find/search if its been done. When my work was complete, they gave me a confirmation letter which i kept. Low and behold, a couple on months later i got the egr fault code diagnosed by my local garage after the engine management light came on and the car was running badly...lack of power etc. I got my local garage to replace the egr which was around £530 in all as its in a terrible place on the 2lt engine and a lot of labour. I understand the 1.6 is a bit easier. I kept the receipt, went through Seat UK goodwill process and had the amount refunded....eventually. Took about 6 weeks if i remember. They will want to see proof of the work undertaken, and service history of the car which needs to be complete. “However”.... after about 6 months, i got the same fault coming up again on the dash intermittently, but it would go off again after a good run. I found the fuel used made a big difference, so stick to decent diesel. If i used BP standard diesel, i could almost guarantee the enging management light would come on. These egr units seem really sensitive, will block and trigger the dash light to come on. Fairly sure this a common VAG issue. I now have a petrol engine

Reactions: Emma
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members