Help please - engine control fuse keeps blowing

Kaivaksdal

Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my Seat Toledo V5 (170, MY2000).

The car won't start - it turns over but won't catch.
I called out a breakdown guy and the diagnostic box can't communicate with my car.

We worked it out that the engine control fuse (10 amp - no. 29 in fuse box) has blown. Problem is, it blows every time the ignition is turned on.
No matter how many times it's replaced, turning the ignition blows that fuse again and again.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this please?

Thanks
Kai

Last edited by a moderator:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Reference to Elsawin tells me that fuse 29 should be 15A (blue) for a petrol car, 10A (red) for a diesel.

The coil packs are wired directly to the same fuse, so a short in a coil pack will also cause this fuse to blow.

Kaivaksdal

Thanks for the help,

I have ordered 3 coil packs and 5 new spark plugs and will replace them all later.
I have had to replace 2 coil packs this month already, so that could be it.

Once that's done, will replce the fuse and try again. The user maual definitely says 10 Amp but I'll try a 15 Amp as you say...

Fingers crossed

Kai

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As you say the drivers handbook says Fuse 29 - Petrol engine - 10A and doesn't give a value for diesel.

Elsawin says 15 A for petrol engines, 10 A for diesels and post November 2001, 20A for AUE/BDE engines (VR6)

The appropriate Haynes manual, 3727 (Golf and Bora 1998-2000) also says 15A for petrol engines, 10A for diesel, so I'm pretty confident it should have a 15A fuse in there. That Haynes manual doesn't deal with VR5/VR6 engines though, or the PD diesels.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise