Help please: Wipers not working

gtfisher

Hi All

My Seat Altea Reference 1.9 TDI has sat idle for 2-3 weeks, but I went to fire it up yesterday the front wipers are completely dead. Front washer works & read wiper and others things all appear to be working,

I have read the thread on Wiper Linkage replacement - may have to use this at the weekend to dismantle and investigate further

The owners manual does not seem to identify a fuse for the front wipers.

If anyone can offer any advice I would much appreciate it

many thanks,
Grant

gtfisher

My fuse box under the dash looks like it missing its cover so there is not guide there, when I looked in the fuse box under the bonnet there does not seem to be a guide there either. The only thing I have is the owners manual but that does not seem to identify a fuse for the front wipers

thanks,
Grant

gtfisher

Wipers

I must admit I cant really make out which fuse is which either from the on-line manual or my own, but I don't believe it is a fuse problem, definitely Fuse 1 under the bonnet is ok & I have checked all the fuses under the dashboard.

I notice there are two motors on the Altea one on each arm, so I would assume it's not the motor, anyone got any suggestions

gtfisher

Bonnet interlock

Is there some kind of bonnet interlock - if so where is it? I can't seem to spot it anywhere

If this is not working would that stop the wipers working?

many thanks

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
There's a microswitch in the bonnet catch at the front, and when the bonnet is open the wipers don't work. You won't be the first to be caught out with a stuck switch. You could try some solvent spray cleaner (not the type that dissolves plastic!) and then some wd40 or suchlike, and a bit of grease to protect it all again if you get it working.

After that, there are two motors as you have seen. One master and one slave. I can't remember which is which off the top of my head, but the master motor has one more wire than the slave. The master will have 12v in, a ground connection, and then a control signal wire which runs at some smaller voltage, and possible another one or two. If the switch for the bonnet isn't the issue then look for 12v on this wire into the motor, and also 12 on the slave. Then get someone else to switch the wipers on while you check the other wires and you should get a small voltage down the signal wire. If both of these are present then I'm not sure what else. But they do have a habit of fraying wires mbetween the two motors along the bulkhead so that could be a place to look. Possibly a frayed wire would blow a fuse.

But I think the bonnet switch is stuck.

gtfisher

Bonnet Switch

Thanks for the info, I will try and find the bonnet switch today.

I tried to get to the cabling to the wiper motors yesterday, but could not work out how to remove the connectors to the wiper motors - do they just pull of or is there a release lock some where

many thanks for the info

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
altea-bonnet.gif

gtfisher

Not the bonnet switch

Its not the bonnet switch - have tested that now.

I have got 12 v & earth going to both motors & continuity on the green and white cable the runs between them & that does not seem to short to earth. There's another cable going to the nearside motor (I assume this is the master), not sure that that one does or what's on it

Been trying to get the wiper motor out but having some difficulty despite the useful picture sequence by posted on the "Please help! Wiper Linkage replacement" thread. I have got the motor loose, but
a) how do you get the wiper arms of the spline
b) Do you have to remove the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen, if you do how does it come off?

Thanks for the help so far, Any further advice much appreciated

cheers, Grant

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
The other cable is the signal wire. The signal wire carries the signal from the car control system about when and how fast the motor needs to run. The motor then uses the 12v supply to run. So if you have 12v permanent to the motor, you need to check you get a voltage down the other signal wire when the wipers are turned on. If there's no voltage on the signal wire then your problem is not on the motors and you should look elsewhere.

gtfisher

Signal Wire

That wire seems to have around 9.6 V on it, it does not seem to make any difference where the wiper witch is or the ignition key for that matter, it always seems to stay around the 9 ish V level. The only thing that did seem to change it was the bonnet switch & when the bonnet was open the signal line went to 11.9 or something like that

any ideas?

gtfisher

I'm in Eastbourne so a little way from you, I'll see if I can get a access to one

Thanks for your help

gtfisher

No fault codes

Done a scan with an OBDII scanner , no fault codes, only thing I can think of now is to remove the motor and see if I can bench test it. How to the wipers come off, do they just pull of the splined shaft or do you need a puller, also how do you remove the plastic trim of the bottom of the windscreen?

Any help or hints appreciated.

grant

gtfisher

So took the car out for a run the other day (nice and dry) and the wipers started working, but they are intermittent, they seem to come on randomly regardless of stalk position, they now seem to have stopped again. I dont think its the motor's or mechanics, I think its a problem with wiper stalk - bad connection or something like that - any advice? Does this sound like a dealer job or an auto electrician?

any advice appreciated

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members