Help! Power Steering Issue Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDI CR

Oct 12, 2019
Hello, I’m hoping that someone on here may be able to help me!

I’ve had my 2009 Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDI CR Sport for a couple of months now and has been faultless. However, a couple of times once I’ve started her up, I’ve noticed that when turning (and not dry steering), it feels like there is no power steering. It’s only for a split second, and then is fine again.

I suspect it could be the power steering fluid that is low. I think I’ve spotted the cap for it under the battery by the washer reservoir. So, I’m assuming that to check the level I’ll need to remove the battery and plate. Is that correct, or is it not likely to be the fluid level.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Tom

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd hope that it is not the fluid level that is the issue, if it is and it is very low, then you have a leak, either from a rusted exposed steel pipe near/on top of the power rack, or worse, a rack end seal leaking, both quite expensive I believe.

What I'd guess is, the battery is near the end of its life and you need to get it checked, maybe at a "no commitment to buy" place like Halfords. When the battery is weak/old or the charging is not up to spec, the battery gets heavily depleted especially when used with a TDI engine, at initial start, and there is no enough reserves of current to meet with all the car's main users, the heaviest user being the power steering, so the power control module knocks that one out first as you can live without it.

Typically people tend to find that they start the engine and immediately demand big steering inputs and that whacks the battery which will handle that okay if in a good state of charge and condition, if weak or under charged, it will give problems and so the steering loses its assistance, normally if the car is stop soon later and restarted, the power steering will return, or maybe as in your case, it will return as soon as the battery has recovered enough to handle it.

Oct 12, 2019
Thank you very much for that, that’s very interesting.

Perhaps it is the battery now I think about it. When I turn the ignition over, there’s a period (longer than other diesels that I have had) where the radio switches off for a moment, and the red battery icon stays on for about 5 seconds or so.

Do you think this points towards the battery?

Thank you for your help in advance - it really is much appreciated!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You would be better getting someone with a digital multi meter to check things over, or like I suggested check to see if Halfords are running a "no obligation to buy" battery and charging system check as it could be an issue with either or both - and things will rapidly get worse as the temperature drops.

Edit:- TDI engined VW Group small cars have often had issues with the load monitoring wiring or the alternator excitation wiring - both of which can affect the charging system, the usual problem is fractured wiring due to excessive and repeated engine movements that only happen with TDI engines.

Oct 12, 2019
Thank you for that, I’ll see if I can take it to Halfords tomorrow and see if it’s just the battery - here’s hoping so!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise