Help!! Remap Horror Story!

deanr1

I bet if you swap your ECU for a good one it'll run fine, same thing happened to someone else, car got stuck in some kind of limp mode

Have you had the car from new?

Probably already has revo on there

My gut feeling is you're right about the ECU, its too much of a coincidence that the car has been perfect all this time, then its plugged into their machine and go's wrong.

I reckon their machine has buggered something ECU related, but until i know for sure i wont name names.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
i may be wrong here but cant you flash the ecu to check what software its got installed?
but if they have downloaded again its maybe scrambled.check if they are insured for this type of mishap too.new ecu will cost a few ££.

deanr1

Has the ECU been flashed back with standard stock code?

Any sensors you would expect an Audi man to have checked...

Can you free rev it over 5.5k? does it stop dead on this mark or just get there and die off...

I have now been able to test this and no it still wont rev past 5500rpm even in neutral.

tune-tec

Have you sorted this problem out yet? You would hope the experts would know what it was but it seems funny it lost the power when the stock map was downloaded off the car.

I do loads of these remaps with no problems, the other possible thing it could be is corrupt data in the ECU. Sometimes when a different tuning package is used to read the data the car can either lock up or have problems, REVO's system been an example of this.

Do you know if the car had been remapped prior to you owning it and been reset to stock code before you bought it. If it was the encryption on the stock code would be unreadable to the other tuners system especially if the file writer put a "NO READ" encryption on the file.

Some systems work like this, stock code is downloaded and encypted to their system on download. New tuned file is uploaded with same encryption this stops people copying other peoples work. Car is re-sold with stock file loaded back on, but this will still be encrpted to last persons code even though the car drives as standard.
New person comes along with different remapping software reads encrpted data, and file recognises someone is copying data. This is how the REVO system works, it can not be altered or changed with all other remapping programs.

Not saying this is 100% the problem but seems a bit too coincidental especially if the tuning company tried to load a tuned file over the top and it did nothing.

If you can find out what tuning system the garage used let me know as i may have some ideas.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
I have owned it since it was about 18 months old with 20k on the clock.

I have a minor update for you all, i'm getting the car back tomorrow but its no different as the Revo dealer have admitted defeat and cannot find whats wrong with it despite having it all week.

I'm not sure what to do next, i want my boost back!!!

noone has removed and refitted the n75 wrongly have they?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
This sounds EXACTLY like the prob Bradmax57 had with his LCR. 'Tuner' plugged into the car and sent it funny.

The outcome was that the car had actually got Revo on (but turned off), but the 'tuner' plugging in caused weird Revo settings. Re-enabling Revo solved the problem. :shrug:

See thread here

Last edited:

RSTuning

If no boost leak then it's looking like software..... What tool was the tuner using? Usually if the car has had revo etc alot of tools won't read them anyway so no real issue there. You need to take some vag logs and try see what is happening.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
ECU Problem

If no boost leak then it's looking like software..... What tool was the tuner using? Usually if the car has had revo etc alot of tools won't read them anyway so no real issue there. You need to take some vag logs and try see what is happening.

This is why a lot of tuners won't touch a car that has had "trial" software on it before such as revo. Although you are told the code is deleted it is impossible for a binary code to delete its self so it just reverts to their version of standard. A propper tuner will be able to remove the ECU and reboot it off the bench, but you need to find someone who can do it.

I believe that Performance Torque might be able to help they are near you. Will mentioned something about being able to do this when he mapped my car, although he did stress he doesn't like doing it

Best of luck

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
You are right not to name the garage at this stage as they may just be good enough to map cars safely using software designed by others. Not everyone will be capeable of more advanced procedures. Doesn't automatically mean its their fault though.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
This is why a lot of tuners won't touch a car that has had "trial" software on it before such as revo. Although you are told the code is deleted it is impossible for a binary code to delete its self so it just reverts to their version of standard. A

You're not told it deletes itself, that's what people choose to beleive

Substand tools, substandard workmanship is to be expected from the buy cheap brigade of 'ebay' remappers out there

the truth is anyone with zero skills can buy the tools & the maps and 'tune' cars, but the evidence of this is that when things go wrong, they don't have the ability to work out the problem.

Decent tools accept that there maybe a previous version of code on the ECU, and can work past it. But they cost more money...

tune-tec

Agree, if the tuner is any good then the ECU can be repaired with a new data dump which will almost certainly mean reprogramming direct to the ECU by removing it from the car, not through the OBD socket. If all goes to pot a good tuner should be able to read the data off the EEPROMS by removing them decode and replace if necessary. The tuning industry don't look favourably at the ebay and inexperienced tuners who use £150 systems to ruin peoples cars. The saying is you get what you pay for and if you buy cheap you buy twice!!

deanr1

Have you sorted this problem out yet? You would hope the experts would know what it was but it seems funny it lost the power when the stock map was downloaded off the car.

I do loads of these remaps with no problems, the other possible thing it could be is corrupt data in the ECU. Sometimes when a different tuning package is used to read the data the car can either lock up or have problems, REVO's system been an example of this.

Do you know if the car had been remapped prior to you owning it and been reset to stock code before you bought it. If it was the encryption on the stock code would be unreadable to the other tuners system especially if the file writer put a "NO READ" encryption on the file.

Some systems work like this, stock code is downloaded and encypted to their system on download. New tuned file is uploaded with same encryption this stops people copying other peoples work. Car is re-sold with stock file loaded back on, but this will still be encrpted to last persons code even though the car drives as standard.
New person comes along with different remapping software reads encrpted data, and file recognises someone is copying data. This is how the REVO system works, it can not be altered or changed with all other remapping programs.

Not saying this is 100% the problem but seems a bit too coincidental especially if the tuning company tried to load a tuned file over the top and it did nothing.

If you can find out what tuning system the garage used let me know as i may have some ideas.

I've had the car since it was 18 months old and i bought it from a SEAT main dealer, as far as i know its never been remapped.

The place thats trying to fix it have found the problem is when the car is running, something is restricting the throttle and only allowing it to open less than 50%. The strange thing is the car is showing up no faults on VAG com.

They seem to be closing in on the problem at least and i'm hoping i might get it fixed this week.

andycupra

status subject to change
I've had the car since it was 18 months old and i bought it from a SEAT main dealer, as far as i know its never been remapped.

The place thats trying to fix it have found the problem is when the car is running, something is restricting the throttle and only allowing it to open less than 50%. The strange thing is the car is showing up no faults on VAG com.

They seem to be closing in on the problem at least and i'm hoping i might get it fixed this week.

if it is something restricting the throttle, then it probably wont log a fault. the ecu will assume all is well and you are just not using full throttle.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.