Help required swapping out Altea sidelight bulbs

manzaboy

Hi, First post on here so apologies for any inaccuracies!

I have 2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI Sport (best car I've ever owned\driven BTW!!!) and got a nice error warning to say a headlight bulb had gone.

A simple job I thought but when trying to get the old bulb out (to see what it is I need to replace) I have hit a problem.

I pulled off the housing and I can get the wire off the back of the bulb but can't tell how to get the bulb itself out? because of the unfortunate angle under teh front wing I can't see what kind of connection it has - have even tried with a small mirror but no joy! :confused:

Seems crazy as I thought it'd be a 2 minute job & I can't face taking it to the SEAT dealership as they will hit me for a £20 bill no doubt...

So advice please anyone and keep teh Altea at the top of my list of favourite cards

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
It is difficult, but get camera phone in and take a pict and will direct you a bit, but just use tips of fingers in very awkward positions and wiggle the sidelight until it comes out and just connect up the old one and use the connector as an extension to put it back in, not detailed, would go and look but it bit cold wet and miserable for that!! hope it helps?

manzaboy

Thanks - didn't think about using my camera phone. Will have to wait until the weather gets a bit brighter. As you say it's dark and miserable out there at the moment!

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I swapped out dipped beam bulbs and got sidelights free, they nice light from them, but such a pain to get at, was cut at one stage and cramp in fingers too.lol. but not nice now for it!

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Headlamp Bulbs

For a 2004 Altea your covered under Seat assistance,!! this year I have lost 3 Bulbs, both headlamp bulbs within a week of each other and also a tail light (whole lamp cluster has to be removed for this one).

I rang Seat Assistance each time and they came out (it was always dark when I rang them) you will need to pay for the cost of the Bulbs and thats it.
(£11 the first time, £6 the second , and free for the tail lamp as the cost was so minimal it was not worth them doing the paperwork.
Last time the guy came he fitted a Headlamp Bulb incorrect and it was lighting up the sky.! Simply rang them again and they came out same night and redone the Job.
Even if you have messed up, still contact them
I figure you've already paid for this in the price of the car so why not use it.

Is it true You now only get 2 years cover on a New Seat and Not the 5 years they were giving cars registered in 2004.

Just for the record, I also Agree the Altea 2.0 TDI is a superb car, I have had 3 years of complete trouble free motoring, with the exception of the recalls and the 3 Bulbs I am Not complaining.

Would buy another one of these tomorrow but not the 170 as it looks like it has a few issues that need resolving.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
A subject dear to my heart or brothers heart since I got him to do it rather than me, I would have given up. I got all the bright H1 and H7 bulbs all to replace off internet (Phillips), all six including side lights. I did wonder how you people did it here since you can't see anything and it's all feel through finger and arm twisting.

No camera phone, used mothers compact mirror and torch. The secret as I recall is not to take the plug off, unclip and remove plug. I know I tried one and messed it up.... or is it take the plug off first...

Had a birthday bro bought me a headband light thinkey for next bulb change... his tip is carry the spares so assist don't charge you. I bought a second spare set of front brights. He'll be changing them again next time.

On bright bulb thread it seemed that Phillips and Oscram were reliable so hopefully it won't happen. My bulbs were still good since Dec 2004 but decided to upgrade once I was told by you people here that the replacement bulbs were good with headlight deflectors.

manzaboy

I didn't buy it new (purchased s\hand exactly a year ago) so I guess I don't qualify for SEAT assistance ???? The car did come with free AA cover for several years - but probably not the same thing...I'll have to go and read my documentation.

Kind of feel like I should be able to do it myself but it is v.frustrating - if the wind & sleet stops I might just get out and give it another go. Don't want to be defeated!!!

(Then again if I can get someone else to come out and sort it whilst I sit in the warm that would be a lot better...LOL)

Tell

Staff member
I'd lone you my brother that did all six of mine at the front :). It's important to unclip the bulb then pull it out and take the plug off or it's the other way round ;). The big bulbs. The baby side lights I think pull out. The manual is very good at telling you what to do since that's what my brother did following it to the letter and moaning and groaning about cars that you can't change the bulbs in these days unless you take them to the garage. What he said which will be true when the lights are fitted the engine isn't in, they wouldn't go to this level of messing about when they build the car.

Seat Assist will be transferable for sure and the AA bit I reckon is just Seat Assist. Best to read the small print and question the garage / wherever you got it, but it will be on the car not the first owner.

manzaboy

SUCCESS! In betwen snow showers I gave it a go according to the manual and hey presto managed to get the spring clip off and the bulb out... Can't fell my fingers now though!

For anyones future reference:

>Remove the cover
>Unplug the cable
>Push on spring clip (bit of D-shaped wire) and move across sideways out of hooks
>Bulb should now be loose and can be removed
>Rest those cold, mangled fingers and stop cursing auto engineers

Of course putting it back will be a whole new challenge!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This is a v.freindly forum. I am going to look into my SEAT assist cover as a result of this.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
>Rest those cold, mangled fingers and stop cursing auto engineers

Of course putting it back will be a whole new challenge!

Well needed in this weather and why do they make it so awkward!!! there are easier ways than having to dismantle half the car to get at things!! Think someone said that whole rear light cluster has to come out to change a bulb!!!! :ban: :censored:

Magnus

Well needed in this weather and why do they make it so awkward!!! there are easier ways than having to dismantle half the car to get at things!! Think someone said that whole rear light cluster has to come out to change a bulb!!!! :ban: :censored:

Had to change the headlamp bulbs when winter set in after purchase of the car. Original bulbs were so dim they were a liability on dark, wet country roads.
My advice: Read the manual. Do it in the daylight. Use a mirror. Start doing it just before taking the wife/GF shopping ("It'll only take a minute dear") then you'll have to spend MUCH less time at the shops. :funk:

To replace a rear bulb the whole light cluster does have to be removed, but it's quick and dead easy. No need to climb in the boot to see whether you are pinching/pulling/twisting the right bit.

Tell

Staff member
Yes, I thought you people were under stating the issues of changing the front light bulbs when I got my brother to do mine - LOL. You were all saying which make you'd put in and web sites to which were the best bulbs etc - but no word that it's a terrible job. Just as well bro's into his cars and I can set him a challenge. I rewarded him with two Aldi's Easter baby eggs to take home with him for a job well done.... Any how the high intensity bulbs are good, I agree on that, well worth changing.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.