Help tonight if pos.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Please bear in mind that I am mechanically illiterate!

OK, car is in the dealers at the moment for diagnosis of hesitation problem from cold. Happened every day for about 5 days in a row and has happened maybe 3 times in the previous 18 months of ownership but as it disappeared on these occasions so thought nothing of it. Symptom is that it is very sluggish and hesitant until temp gauge up to normal (3 or 4 minutes), very limited power in any gear. I was thinking coolant temp sensor or MAF?

Sods law that when I took it in yesterday afternoon it did not happen to me. When they started it from cold in the morning it didn't happen to them either but the engine management light came on (that has never happened to me! However, they plugged it in to diagnostics and said they cleared a couple of 'strange codes' that didn't register as anything! :confused:

Left the car to cool and test drove it again and the guy says he can now feel hesitation at initial acceleration, so they've kept it in to resume investigation tomorrow.

Car had a remap at AmD 6 months ago, no problems until now. Normally use Optimax but had to put in a £10 worth of ordinary unleaded just before this one. This wouldn't have had an effect would it? Contacted AmD as a precaution and they said the clearing of codes or diagnostic issues shouldn't affect the remap.

Any pointers please what I should expect from the garage? If it was an intermitent fault (eg coolant temp sensor or MAF) would this log codes anyway even if it's working OK at the time of testing? What should they be doing if no more fault codes show up?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

mikekc

most prob be the coolent tempeture sensor! they are very commen on them!

Tech-To-Be(loser)

They should carry out a simple diagnostic procedure. begin with coolant temp sensor. Has it been changed before what colour is the existing coolant temp sensor. The MAF is also common. I would ask them to carry out simple tests. By the way no fault code is irrelevant. A fault logged means that a problem has occured and the ECU has recorded it its memory for diagnosos. If you can get the fault codes then let us know and we can see what we can make of them. Good luck

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for the prompt replys guys. The temp sensor hasn't been changed while I've owned it but couldn't vouch for before - as the car's still with them I can't check the colour. What test would they do on it if it's not showing up as a fault code? If it's the MAF does that mean I should just keep driving it until its really b*ggered to make sure it is that. I don't really want to get in to changing parts one by one only to find the problem is still there.

Tech-To-Be(loser)

To test the MAF drive it for 5 minutes as you would regularly then jump out unplug and drive it again. If the driving changes then you know that the MAF is ok. If not then the MAF is buggered.

mikekc

to check that you maf is ok what you do is! you loacate it in your engine bay..its on the pipe coming off you airbox.....all you do is unplug it and drive you car down the road, this will bring no engine lights on the dash so dont worry bout that, if you car feels alot flater and slower your maf is ok! if the car seems to go alot better you need the maf replacing, they are around £130 but not hard to fit....1 clip and 2screws..i feel it wont be that anyway and will just be the temp sensor beacuse the ecu wont be getting the correct readings from the sensor and wont be puting enough fuel in beacuse it doesnt no its cold!

andycupra

status subject to change
mikekc said:
to check that you maf is ok what you do is! you loacate it in your engine bay..its on the pipe coming off you airbox.....all you do is unplug it and drive you car down the road, this will bring no engine lights on the dash so dont worry bout that, if you car feels alot flater and slower your maf is ok! if the car seems to go alot better you need the maf replacing, they are around £130 but not hard to fit....1 clip and 2screws..i feel it wont be that anyway and will just be the temp sensor beacuse the ecu wont be getting the correct readings from the sensor and wont be puting enough fuel in beacuse it doesnt no its cold!

pretty sure it does light up on the dash!

but it goes once reconnected!

when they look at faults it will have fault saying maf failed...

mikekc

no im 110% sure that it does not bring up the light on the dash

alexuser456

it dosnt put the light on you know when u wouk in a seat garage you get to know whats what anyone else here working in a seat dealership

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
OK, seeing as most of the advice I got in this thread came from one banned member using lots of user-names, although none of it seemed out of the ball park if anyone else would like to reassure me that this is the way to go, that would be cool.

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
You will get lights on the dash, the ESP/Traction light will come on as soon as you start the car and then if you drive it enough a little later the engine managment or similar light comes on (the tap kinda thing) hope this helps, and to clear up... if it runs BETTER with the MAF unplugged, it could well be the MAF itself

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for your reply Rivva.

Got a proplem now. Just phoned them and they have all but ruled out the coolant sensor and MAF. They are now identifying hesitation as you put revs down in any gear on lift off from clutch but then picks up OK. I was getting constant hesitation and very sluggish performance only from cold.

Problem is no fault codes showing and they are beginning to think cat but don't want to go ahead with relatively costly work (and nor do I) without definative diagnosis. This is going to become a pain in the *rse. Any further ideas to assist with diagnosis appreciated.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.