Help! + Why I'm a numpty + Why I hate Seat MK

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I often advise anyone with a little mechanical experience to save cash and change their own brake pads. Well it is usually cheaper unless you are a muppet like myself. I was undoing the alen bolt on the back of the caliper and the hit the brake line sheering it off at the capiper! GUTTED is not the word.

26052007151.jpg

So I go over to Seat MK which has a parts department and it went a bit like this:

1) She looks at me as if I'm a peace of ****
2) I ask if parts is open to which she goes of and whispers to a collegue for a bit
3) Returning she says "sorry, we can't do parts as our internet has been down all week"
4) "OK", I says, "is there any other way you can check to see if you have the part?"
5) "No"
6) Can a technition look it up on his computer?
7) "No"
8) Is there any chance you could call another dealer to get the part number
9) "We could, but without the internet we would not know the phone number"
10) "How about you ring directory enquiries?"
11) "No, sorry there's nothing we can do"

Arseholes, note to self.... never buy a car from them.

Can anyone help me? Where else could I get the end of the brake line from?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I have a feeling it'll be a dealer only part, because it's the flexi rigid pipe.

PITA, and MK SEAT really do have a very poor level of service, I mean I'd rather go to motorvague, and that's saying something.

is it nearside or offside? I might have something that'll do the trick for you.....

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Cheers for advice.

Its the nearside rear. The flexi hose is crimped onto a section of metal brake pipe that connects on the rear suspension arm.

What's PITA?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
pain in the ass.

I have an Ibiza hose that may well fit.... it should have the same fittings at both ends, but take a slightly different route to get there.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I mean I'd rather go to motorvague, and that's saying something.

It has taken Motorvogue 7 weeks to try and find the part number for my SEAT Sport gearknob, despite having a picture of it right in front of them. I guess they don't use parts technical. One of the parts guys rang me asking if I had any idea! Good job I know what I'm doing, because I had the part number in 5 minutes!

Oh and it also went in for a locking problem, I watched them bring it in the workshop, leave it by the door unattended with the keys in for 20 minutes, then say its fixed!

I asked about extended warranty and they asked for the reg, they then told me it was an 05 plate 1.4 which its obviously not, being a Cupra and being on an 04 plate. Anyway it was £425 for a "SEAT Approved" one by a warranty company. The warranty company charges £290 for it as it says on their website.

My opinion of Motorvogue is now not to bother with them. Its getting servced at work, then I'll take it somewhere else for the remainder of the warranty work.

Its a shame MK isn't what it was. In the old days they were enthusiastic and knew what they were doing...now look at it!

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
blimey, seat parts must have the most unreliable internet connections ever.
"internet has been down" or the "parts ordering system is offline" is the standard answer i get to any query that they dont know off the top of their head. - its funny how a call to another dealer 30 seconds later ends up with me ordering parts no problem.

i share your frustrations.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
does anyone here have access to the seat parts system that could maybe get me the part number please? If all else fails then I'll phone around dealers next week and see if I can get it.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Assuming I get this sorted out, will I need to bleed the whole system or just this line? (its lost a lot of fluid)

Interesting as well, Elsawin describes pad replacement differently. They don't undo the allen bolts just the locking bolts on the sliders. I've always taken the 2 allen bolts out and slid the whole caliper and pads over the disc, fitted the new pads then pushed it back on again.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you will want to bleed the whole lot I'm afraid

also - elsawin is right, you can just about get the disc off without removing the carrier (probably will need a tap with a hammer)

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
I am really disappointed with my dealer in Derby, very reluctant to help, open office hours and until 11.53 on a Saturday (they are at the door waiting to leave for 12) which doesn't help Joe public who also works. If you are in there to part with big cash on a new car fine, anything after and you are on you're own.

Recently had some brake lines for an old E30 BMW (that I sold today) and got 5-pieces, front to back of car, for less than £40, fully made and top quality. Only had to bend and fit them. The low cost was a bonus but the best was the customer service. A 17-year old car and I was treated just the same as someone with a 12-month old car. Fantastic service. Anyway enough of bigging up BMW dealers.

On the leon do you have to wind in the piston on the rear caliper or can it be pushed back? Is a special tool required? I remember having some problems with rear pads on my V5.

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Cheer's, think I'll invest in a "generic" tool.

Off-topic UncleFester, but how did the experimentation on the headlights go?