Help With Steering Rack Type

Aug 28, 2019
My SEAT Ibiza Sport, 1.4 2008 needs a new steering rack. Given the current economic climate it will have to be a reconditioned one (18 month warranty at least). There are two types though;

Plug Type Sensor or Fixed Wire Type Sensor

Does anyone know which one I need? The part supplier said it would be a visual inspection, but I am hoping someone knows without the need for this.

If not, would the visual inspection involve just putting it up on a ramp without the need to removed anything? If so there is a local tyre place who will probably put it on the ramp for me.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there,

ideally your best and quickest bet would be to contact your local SEAT Main Dealership, and speak to their retail parts department, they would ask you for your vehicles reg number and or Vin/Chassis number, from this they would be able to definitely tell you the part number, but unfortunately due to the lockdown a lot of dealerships are closed at the moment.

I've had a quick look on the SEAT parts site, it list's about 8 to 10 different part numbers for the steering rack on your Ibiza, so possibly left and right hand variations.

TRW steering racks I believe they are.

The first picture look at number 18A which is the steering swing angle sensor.
Part number 6Q0 423 445
Looks like this sensor slides into top section of rack tower, and is held in place by a small hex head bolt. (Sensor is semi square shaped)

The second picture look at number 18 which is the steering swing angle sensor.
Part number 6Q1 423 291E
Looks like this sensor fits into top section of rack tower, and is held in place by a small hex head bolt. (Sensor is round shaped)

Plus part of the rack tower that is connected to the steering column, sometimes there's a black rubber boot that covers it to protect, you might be able to see from above with your bonnet open, but to be honest I think you'll need to look at this area from under the car, whether your car is raised on axle stands or you have access to a lift hoist, the wire will be short and may be plugged in low down close to bulk head, or the wire from sensor will travel down and along the centre or steering rack where it'll be attached via clip or cable tie, then it plugs into wiring loom, it depends what type you have.

Hope this helps
Si

Attachments

• 253423400.png
    253423400.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 253423430.png
    253423430.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: Tino11
Aug 28, 2019
Hello there,

ideally your best and quickest bet would be to contact your local SEAT Main Dealership, and speak to their retail parts department, they would ask you for your vehicles reg number and or Vin/Chassis number, from this they would be able to definitely tell you the part number, but unfortunately due to the lockdown a lot of dealerships are closed at the moment.

I've had a quick look on the SEAT parts site, it list's about 8 to 10 different part numbers for the steering rack on your Ibiza, so possibly left and right hand variations.

TRW steering racks I believe they are.

Thanks. I tried the local Arnold Clark SEAT but they were closed. I think there's an actual stand alone dealer a little further away so I'll see if they are open. Hopefully I can work out the sensor type by the part number diagram.