Help with tyre pressures

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Trying to check my tyre pressures and doesn't seem very simple. Checked the sticker in the Passenger door frame and there are 3 symbols 2 seem to be exactly the same but one of them has a lower case i next to it, they both give different pressures. Looked through the manual and nothing I can find tells you that the i means.

Any idea?

Thanks

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
I'm too lazy to go outside and check the sticker, but usually the three values are:
  1. Regular pressure for lightly loaded car (driver only, or driver + 1 passenger)
  2. Comfort pressure for lightly loaded car - slightly softer tires, slightly higher fuel consumption
  3. Pressure for heavy loads (3 passengers with possibly additional cargo)

All pressures are for summer tires; for winter tires add 0.2-0.3 bars.

Reactions: Ace19

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Mine has Normal, Eco and Heavy. I t came delivered on the Eco pressure, which is about 0.2 or 0.3 bar more.

Combined with the rubbish Bridgestone OEM rubber this equals a ride that is not as good as my previous Toledo.

And the Eco pressure doesn't seem to benefit mpg either (which must be the point surely).

Next time I fill up, I'll try setting the lower pressure.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
The biggest gripe I have with the Bridgestones (ignoring the puncture after 1 week!) is the poor grip they seem to offer, though I’ll admit I haven’t checked the pressures since it was collected. The problem with a puncture after only 500 miles is I felt obliged to replace with like for like; I prefer tyres to match, ideally all round but if not per ‘axle’. And replacing a tyre that’d only done 500 miles to Stickland pair of Michelins on the front seemed a bit too wasteful...

Perhaps I’ll check the tyres tomorrow and see if it improves grip. It’s not just in the damp, though it’s particularly bad then, but even in the dry. And it’s not excessively abrupt starts or clutch control - ours is a DSG!

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
New tyres need scrubbing in to give full grip ( Ask my neighbour who just dropped his Fireblade when a brand new rear spun up at only 5 mph) but 500 miles should be plenty.
If they're Bridgestone Turanzas though that's not even a "Performance" tyre, it's the cooking one for Malaysian taxis.

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
The car’s done 1,300 miles now, so one front tyre has done 800 and the other 1,300. Plenty to scrub them in. Pretty sure they are Turanzas, but I don’t think 115PS warrants ‘performance’ tyres, or for that matter 18” wheels with 40 profile tyres! Though they do look good. Just need some tyres with better grip; Continental or Michelin are usually ok IME

misiakupatego

Mar 5, 2017
From VW Polo 2018:

p2002Zx.jpg

i = comfort pressure

OEM tyres for 17" wheels - Bridgestone Turanza t001 215/45 - very loud (71 dBa).

Winter tyres 15" - Michelin Crossclimate Plus 185/65 - very quiet (68 dBa).

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
The car’s done 1,300 miles now, so one front tyre has done 800 and the other 1,300. Plenty to scrub them in. Pretty sure they are Turanzas, but I don’t think 115PS warrants ‘performance’ tyres, or for that matter 18” wheels with 40 profile tyres! Though they do look good. Just need some tyres with better grip; Continental or Michelin are usually ok IME

Ironically I've just carefully researched and then chosen to have 195/60x15" Bridgestone Turanza's, (specifically the T001 EVO type) to be fitted as new 'summer' tyres on my mildly-sporting Malaysian 1600 saloon, replacing the perfectly good Dunlop Sport BluResponse I similarly researched and chose back in 2013.

Not normally a fan of Bridgestone, (their old B250, standard on a new Daihatsu I had once were grim) and TBH most of their newer tyres don't excel.
However, the exception is the latest T001 EVO, it comes out very well in all 2018 tyre tests and reviews - and notably better than their previous T001.

Time will tell, but the first 50-odd miles have shown them to be quiet at least and I'm looking forward to pushing them a bit later on. Apart from the obvious must-haves of top-drawer wet grip and braking, it was traction and quietness that were my main priorities when choosing.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members