help with vag-com

LC Ibiza Cupra

Feb 18, 2007
Cardiff
just recived a cheapie vag -com lead from ebay,
noticed that it didnt have a usb connecter on it so poped down to maplin elecrical in cardiff this morning bought a usb serial converter.
went on the ross tech site an down loaded the free version of vag com.
tried to transfer over to my laptop but having trouble in doing so can anyone shed some light on this problem?:(

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
You've not said exactly what you mean by "tried to transfer over to my laptop" - but it doesn't matter - I bought the same adaptor from Maplin and I can't get it to work with the car anyway.

It's detected but can't open most of the controllers. Time to buy the real thing I think.

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Sadly I've tried that. All worked fine with my old laptop via Serial, nothing works via cheap Maplin adaptor.

(although it detects the cable, it keeps trying different baud rates to talk to the ECU but fails, despite me trying the port at 9600 and 4800 etc)

Time to spend properly and take the money saving idea back ;-)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
It's not a Ross-tech one if that's what you mean. And I think I'm running 512. I haven't started it up for a while so can't remember.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
You can't use a USB>Serial converter interface with VAG-COM.

If you connect up the USB directly to the laptop and install the relevant drivers - then set the port in device manager and select that in VAG-COM the cable itself is actually a USB>Serial converter.

Unless your laptop doesen't have USB - but if that's the case its very old or you should just buy a Serial VAG-COM cable.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.