hesitant + noise

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
anyone got a rough idea what the issue could be before it goes into the main dealer?
originally there was a misfire which cleared after a plug and coil pack change but since then under normal driving it drives fine but under heavy acceleration the car is hesitant especially when shifting up a gear there is like a 1-2 second power dip and then its back on full power until the next gear change.
sometimes during the power dip there is what I can only describe as a rapid chirping noise.

the car is a 2.0 tfsi fr dsg

any help would be much appreciated

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Diverter valve? What revision you got in?

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
I’ve checked the cam follower wear is minimal.
The diverter valve im guessing is a c and is still the original (orange diaphragm) I’ve checked for holes and it looks fine, there are currently no engine management light showing.
I’ve changed plugs, coil packs, fuel filter, checked pcv checked turbo actuator for play and can’t think what else to check.
I can mimic the sound if I put it in high gear at low revs and floor it.

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
Actuator, vac pipes around it.
Got a similar sound on my 2.0 diesel when at low revs and booting it. Once the turbos going its not an issue then. My sound is like it is fluttering trying to open or close something and not getting where it needs to be so suspecting something vacuum related. Had my turbo actuator replaced last year but that gave engine faults (eventually).

I had a 1.8T cupra that hesitated. Long story but it ended up being a poor seal around the oil filler cap!

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
Cheers lads. I took it the main dealer and I might aswell have just chucked 90 quid in the bin.
They couldn’t find any faults took It out for a spin and still nothing.
Because it only did it as soon as it shifted up a gear on WOT they suspected it could be the DSG.
I explained to them it all started with a misfire that disappeared after I changed the plugs but since then I have had this issue so I suspected it could be an injector or something related but without a fault code they wasn’t interested.
It’s almost like as soon as It shifts up a gear when driven hard there is a brief misfire.
Even the tone of the exhaust sound different at times.
I’m well and truly puzzled.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You anywhere near R-tech? I'm pretty sure they do an injector test / clean service. Also, stupid thing, you fitted new plugs and I know they are pre-gapped. But did you double check the gap?

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
I have not checked the gap but I did clean my old plugs up and refitted them and tightened up to correct torque to rule out the new plugs being at fault but the issue was still there. I will take another look this weekend and check.
Just been in the r-tech website and there is some useful info,
I will get it booked in for the injector test come next pay day.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
I have not checked the gap but I did clean my old plugs up and refitted them and tightened up to correct torque to rule out the new plugs being at fault but the issue was still there. I will take another look this weekend and check.

This could also be the Pcv valve failing,or an injector on its way out,or last but not least a fault with the throttle pedal control loom (behind throttle pedal)
This was upgraded to gold connections due to corrosion issues

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

In the meantime, is it worth doing a compression test? Or have you already tried that?