Hi everyone, Mk2 Cupra owner, some problems....

Murf_1984

Aug 28, 2018
Hello to everyone.

First off I absolutely love my mk2 Cupra. Previously owned a mk2 diesel FR.

Looking for some advice if possible and apologies if it's already been covered.

There is a knocking noise coming from near side wheel area when I turn slow and tight. I'm thinking I have an issue with the CV joint.

I've had some issues with the engine idling and the revs fluctuating. rises to about 1000 and back down when engine idling. Doesn't do it all the time. I've seen people mention PCV valve issue.

I'm also currently working abroad for a few months so the vehicle is currently SORN. my brother has been over regularly to start the engine and tick it over, move it a little. The other day he said he found it very difficult to get the car in gear. I've never had an issue with this.

Can anyone perhaps help me out with any suggestions? I'll be home in a few weeks and want to get the car up to as best a standard as possible. Really miss driving it. Especially as I'm stuck on a Spanish island driving a mk1 fiat punto.

Yes you heard correct.........mk1 punto. Think it's a 1 litre. Just let that sink in.......

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi there,

Hard to really diagnose a knocking sound without hearing it, but def sounds suspension related. Would be worth looking at control arm (and bushes), tie rod ends as well, just to make sure there's no play in any of it.

PCV issues do tend to do that with the revs, but I thought the pcv also made a whining noise when it went. Also worth checking the oil dipstick has it's o-ring still attached as that can cause vacuum leaks.

Gearbox is trickier... does it get easier to get into gear when its warmed up? Also, I sometimes have this weird issue trying to go from reverse to first where it kind of locks and the gear won't go in at all. You have to let the clutch back out and down again to "unlock" it.

Murf_1984

Aug 28, 2018
Hi there,

Hard to really diagnose a knocking sound without hearing it, but def sounds suspension related. Would be worth looking at control arm (and bushes), tie rod ends as well, just to make sure there's no play in any of it.

PCV issues do tend to do that with the revs, but I thought the pcv also made a whining noise when it went. Also worth checking the oil dipstick has it's o-ring still attached as that can cause vacuum leaks.

Gearbox is trickier... does it get easier to get into gear when its warmed up? Also, I sometimes have this weird issue trying to go from reverse to first where it kind of locks and the gear won't go in at all. You have to let the clutch back out and down again to "unlock" it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The knocking noise only comes when steering is on full lock.

I'll make sure to inspect the dipstick as the revs only fluctuate on certain occasions.

Never had any gear changing issues before. I'm hoping it's just a bit stiff as car hasn't been moving a lot and it was cold.

Looking forward to getting back to it and doing some work on it.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members