Hi, potential owner here

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to sell my focus st250 for a seat leon fr tech due to family and money reasons. Never really owned anything but ford so I'm lost when it comes to seat.

I'm looking to pick up a 184ps diesel model if I can. Can anyone recommend some more info on models and must do mods for these? Not looking to spend huge amounts, just want to tidy it up a bit.

Sorry for going on and on

Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Welcome, first thing I should probably ask and I'm sure you've already considered this. I take it you plan on doing long(ish) journeys? I made the mistake of starting out with a MK2 diesel FR (which I loved) and managed to clog the DPF in about 18 months thanks to only working 2 miles from home grrrr.

You can lose a few hours browsing the readers ride section, most members list their car by type, so you can match it to your own and see what everyone else has done. Or, take a look in the Leon MK3 forums which are always quite busy.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Welcome, first thing I should probably ask and I'm sure you've already considered this. I take it you plan on doing long(ish) journeys? I made the mistake of starting out with a MK2 diesel FR (which I loved) and managed to clog the DPF in about 18 months thanks to only working 2 miles from home grrrr.

You can lose a few hours browsing the readers ride section, most members list their car by type, so you can match it to your own and see what everyone else has done. Or, take a look in the Leon MK3 forums which are always quite busy.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I only do 8-10,000 miles a year. I just thought the diesel would be better on mpg so I'd save money coming from my st which only sees 25mpg. I'm trying to bring the price of my insurance and fuel bill down if I can. Would you say the diesel isn't turn right car?

I'll flick through some pages tonight and tomorrow.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I only do 8-10,000 miles a year. I just thought the diesel would be better on mpg so I'd save money coming from my st which only sees 25mpg. I'm trying to bring the price of my insurance and fuel bill down if I can.

I previously had a 1.4 150 Petrol FR and even with it constantly in Sport Mode I was able to obtain 40-50mpg and that included some heavy pedal use. It might not be as powerful as your ST but worth considering. There’s also the 184 Petrol too but I’m not sure about its mpg value.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
I previously had a 1.4 150 Petrol FR and even with it constantly in Sport Mode I was able to obtain 40-50mpg and that included some heavy pedal use. It might not be as powerful as your ST but worth considering. There’s also the 184 Petrol too but I’m not sure about its mpg value.

I don't use the power as much since we've had a baby but it would be nice to be able to have that little bit of power for overtaking etc.

I had my mind made up on a 184 diesel until I posted on here, now I'm not so sure

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I don't use the power as much since we've had a baby but it would be nice to be able to have that little bit of power for overtaking etc.

I had my mind made up on a 184 diesel until I posted on here, now I'm not so sure

The 1.4 150 had enough power in my opinion and was always good for overtaking. With not owning a Diesel for a long while I’m wouldn’t know on the mpg you could get. Worth considering with Diesel being more expensive is the difference in mpg between Petrol and Diesel going to be cost effective for you.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I only do 8-10,000 miles a year. I just thought the diesel would be better on mpg so I'd save money coming from my st which only sees 25mpg. I'm trying to bring the price of my insurance and fuel bill down if I can. Would you say the diesel isn't turn right car?

I'll flick through some pages tonight and tomorrow.

Yeah, I only mentioned it as you were coming from a petrol. It's not so much the mileage as how you do them. For example, according to my ECU I do 73% town, 2% motorway and 25% idle. So that would ruin a diesel. Especially as the 2 miles to work never gave the engine (or DPF) time to warm up (diesels take longer to get up to temperature anyway).

But I hear ya, my Cupra averages 15mpg on my daily commute and only runs on 99 octane fuel. I was hoping for more than a pack of 6 mince pies this year off my shell points card!!

Sorry to confuse your decision. But just wanted you to have all the facts first.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Yeah, I only mentioned it as you were coming from a petrol. It's not so much the mileage as how you do them. For example, according to my ECU I do 73% town, 2% motorway and 25% idle. So that would ruin a diesel. Especially as the 2 miles to work never gave the engine (or DPF) time to warm up (diesels take longer to get up to temperature anyway).

But I hear ya, my Cupra averages 15mpg on my daily commute and only runs on 99 octane fuel. I was hoping for more than a pack of 6 mince pies this year off my shell points card!!

Sorry to confuse your decision. But just wanted you to have all the facts first.

It'll be used for longish journeys to the lakes and Scotland every now and then and just general shopping and family duties. I don't use it daily as I have a work van. Just wanted a sporty hatch that was cheapish for fuel, insurance and overall price.

Can't decide on what's the best option. I thought the fr might've been but now I'm not sure.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It'll be used for longish journeys to the lakes and Scotland every now and then and just general shopping and family duties. I don't use it daily as I have a work van. Just wanted a sporty hatch that was cheapish for fuel, insurance and overall price.

If your doing long journeys in it, you'll be fine. Thing I miss most about my MK2 FR was driving to Cornwall and back on a tank of fuel. With the Cupra, I had to stop 3 times for fuel! Don't think I ever saw <500 miles to a tank.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I can happily get 400 miles to my R's tank if it's a long journey, when I drove to Germany I got 480, it's all about the crusing and good roads they have lol

I'd personally rather get a petrol just to avoid the regens etc and like @Maypack suggested the 1.4 150 has got some juice. Or just go all out and get a Cupra and be done with it lol I'll buy you a SCN sticker if you go for the Cupra lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd personally rather get a petrol just to avoid the regens etc

This. I'd have a read about DPF Regens and decide if it's something your up for. I went from a diesel Mondeo (shhhh) I had for 10 years without issue to a diesel FR. I found at times I'd drive 200+ miles down the motorway, pull up on the driveway and it's started a regen. So I'd reverse out, drive to a 50mph road by which point it's cancelled the regen. Grrrrr.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
So I've given it a bit more thought today and I think the petrol will be better for me. I'll be going for a manual as I'm not bothered about automatics or day stuff. I'm test driving both a 1.8tsi and 1.8tdi on Sunday so hopefully I'll have an easy decision to make.

If I do go for the leon, I'll be looking to get a bluefin, filter and probably a de-res of the exhaust just to add some character. I'd also like to add a splitter and better diffuser if anyone knows where I'll get some from?

Thanks for the messages lads.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi again. For what it's worth, I think the 1.8tsi is a good call. And hopefully you can start getting excited about a new car again!! Just to throw into the mix as well. Keep in mind also that petrols map easier than diesels. Again due to the DPF. A mapped diesel produces more soot, hence quicker clogged DPF. And to go higher you'd have to knock the DPF out (which is illegal and an MOT fail). A stage 1 petrol should easily see you circa 230bhp for very little effort.

Let us know how the test drive goes. Off the top of my head, I don't know who does MK3 diffusers. Hopefully someone in the MK3 section can help. I checked my two favs: fiberworx and triplecomposites but they only seem to do MK1/2.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,
If you do ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

It's due on the 20th of this month. I got a quote from you a year or two ago but you were miles off sky. Hopefully you can beat then this year.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Hi again. For what it's worth, I think the 1.8tsi is a good call. And hopefully you can start getting excited about a new car again!! Just to throw into the mix as well. Keep in mind also that petrols map easier than diesels. Again due to the DPF. A mapped diesel produces more soot, hence quicker clogged DPF. And to go higher you'd have to knock the DPF out (which is illegal and an MOT fail). A stage 1 petrol should easily see you circa 230bhp for very little effort.

Let us know how the test drive goes. Off the top of my head, I don't know who does MK3 diffusers. Hopefully someone in the MK3 section can help. I checked my two favs: fiberworx and triplecomposites but they only seem to do MK1/2.

I've found some bits on maxtons website but unsure if they'll fit. I really hope the petrol surprises me. If I don't enjoy either cars then it's back to the drawing board

Thsnks for all you help mate.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Cough Cupra cough...
I wish mate but I'm trying to save money with my lass just having our first baby. The fr can potentially save me about £200 per month over the bills for the focus so needs must at the moment. May be in a year two when our savings look a bit healthier I'll look at a cupra.

Deleted member 103408

There is nothing wrong with the FR, Nice cars just check suspension comfort as some people find it hard.

With regards to body bling I have the Maxton Splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser and very happy with them. They do them for the MK3 FR as well but make sure you order the FR ones not the Cupra as I dont think the fit each other

Also from a costing perspective you need to advise insurance of this mod so check that and its normally cheaper to declare it up front rather than making a change after.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
There is nothing wrong with the FR, Nice cars just check suspension comfort as some people find it hard.

With regards to body bling I have the Maxton Splitter, side skirts and rear diffuser and very happy with them. They do them for the MK3 FR as well but make sure you order the FR ones not the Cupra as I dont think the fit each other

Also from a costing perspective you need to advise insurance of this mod so check that and its normally cheaper to declare it up front rather than making a change after.

I'm coming from a 300bhp focus st that's been lowered so the fr will probably be a lot more comfortable