Hi, potential owner here

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
So how did the test drive go? Did you make a decision?

Hi,

I preferred the diesel believe it or not. Petrol seemed very flat. I'm going to have a sleep on it and decide tomorrow. Got a Golf gtd to look at too but that has a little more miles on it than both the seats.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, I had a feeling you might say that. Diesels do tend to have more torque. Shame you can't try a Stage 1 petrol to see if the extra torque makes a difference.

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
Hi, I have just got the 2.0tdi FR, and I came from a 300bhp scooby.
Im actually really enjoying the diesel, its no Subaru, but for what it is its a really enjoyable car.
I do 10 miles to work then 10 miles back, then most weekends i do some motorway driving, so the dpf filter hopefully wont be a problem. There are ways around it so i have been told, not sure if its worth doing, its not something ive properly researched.
For the first time in my life, I recommend the diesel lol
It has saved me an absolute fortune in running costs.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
So, I'm back again. This time I've purchased a 2015 cupra 280 st. Pick it up on the weekend. Cheaper per month that my focus st, more room for my family and quicker. Its manual sk no doubt I'll have to save for a clutch(or so I'm told). Will be getting the wheels powder coated asap, machine polish plus black badges(anywhere that sells them would be great), de-res the exhaust, a panel filter and a splitter from triple r composites. Then I plan to enjoy the car for a while, save for a better clutch them look at revo stage 1.

If anyone thinks my plans are wrong then please let me know. I genuinely have no idea when it comes to vag stuff as I've only owned fords for the last 10 years.

Thanks

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
You won't regret a cupra purchase lol if you've come from an St and nodded with mountune then modding with vag cars will be much better gains I think... A friend of mine needed 2k just to get 300bhp from 250 on his MK3.5 I think... You'll go from 280 to 370 on a stage 1 lol yeah a clutch maybe needed but you don't need to worry about mapping the DSG aswell as the car.

You can buy the cupra lettering in black on ebay I think but sure about the badges though, although from what I've seen you need to get change the dogbone mounts to stop wheel hop unless the previous owner has already done this...

There is also reiger splitters and a few others to look at if you wanted options. A few people on here have the reiger (if that's how you spell it) rear diffuser.

As for res delete go have a look at progressive parts (will be others) for a pipe which makes life easier https://progressiveparts.com/vagsport-seat-leon-cupra-290-resonator-delete-pipe-kit-vagsp10005

You thought about getting a open cone air filter instead of a panel filter? You'll get some more gains and lovely noises on power.

You'll have to get some pictures up

Enjoy!

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
You won't regret a cupra purchase lol if you've come from an St and nodded with mountune then modding with vag cars will be much better gains I think... A friend of mine needed 2k just to get 300bhp from 250 on his MK3.5 I think... You'll go from 280 to 370 on a stage 1 lol yeah a clutch maybe needed but you don't need to worry about mapping the DSG aswell as the car.

You can buy the cupra lettering in black on ebay I think but sure about the badges though, although from what I've seen you need to get change the dogbone mounts to stop wheel hop unless the previous owner has already done this...

There is also reiger splitters and a few others to look at if you wanted options. A few people on here have the reiger (if that's how you spell it) rear diffuser.

As for res delete go have a look at progressive parts (will be others) for a pipe which makes life easier https://progressiveparts.com/vagsport-seat-leon-cupra-290-resonator-delete-pipe-kit-vagsp10005

You thought about getting a open cone air filter instead of a panel filter? You'll get some more gains and lovely noises on power.

You'll have to get some pictures up

Enjoy!

Hi,

Thanks mate. I'm getting a lot of stick off Ford owners for this move tbh. Yes I was 300bhp and it probably cost around 2k in total.

What open filter would you recommend? I have a revo dealer near me so looking to try and keep all things revo if I can bit open to suggestions.

Any idea where the best place for a dog bone mount would be? I'm new to seat so I'm generally clueless with everything.

Thanks for the help mate.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Hi,

Thanks mate. I'm getting a lot of stick off Ford owners for this move tbh. Yes I was 300bhp and it probably cost around 2k in total.

What open filter would you recommend? I have a revo dealer near me so looking to try and keep all things revo if I can bit open to suggestions.

Any idea where the best place for a dog bone mount would be? I'm new to seat so I'm generally clueless with everything.

Thanks for the help mate.
Yeah I can imagine the stick lol you'll be laughing soon enough.

Revo do one and for your viewing pleasure here is the link to a few (although it seems the MK3 is a box not a cone like my MK2) link 1 and link 2

With regards to dogmount have a look here - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/done-bone-insert-mount-for-cupra-300.446658/

Any other questions let me know

@paddy6789 could you confirm this is the way to go for a standard setup these days?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I've seen a lot of Ramair open filters, not really my thing but people claim that the noise and performance are good. Is there a reason you're after an open filter?

With regards to where to get parts from, I can highly recommend Progressive Parts - I use them as a parts supplier and for garage services. They are also a Revo dealer. They also have a price match/beat promise on at the moment.

The dogbone mount upgrade can work one of two ways; an insert into the existing mount, or upgrade the whole mount. Obviously the insert is much cheaper, but the whole mount upgrade prepares you for stage 2 and above, and it's generally longer wearing than the insert. With Revo, their mount upgrade is actually not too much more than an insert - @theoldboy may be able to shed a bit more light on that mount. The dogbone mount does make a huge difference, and pair it with some decent rubber on the wheels, you'll feel a massive difference. Most common inserts are Forge or 034 Motorsport, around £50-60 usually. The bolt is supposed to be a single use bolt though, so keep that in mind when dropping the bolt out to put the insert in, and the bolt needs setting to the right torque.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
I've seen a lot of Ramair open filters, not really my thing but people claim that the noise and performance are good. Is there a reason you're after an open filter?

With regards to where to get parts from, I can highly recommend Progressive Parts - I use them as a parts supplier and for garage services. They are also a Revo dealer. They also have a price match/beat promise on at the moment.

The dogbone mount upgrade can work one of two ways; an insert into the existing mount, or upgrade the whole mount. Obviously the insert is much cheaper, but the whole mount upgrade prepares you for stage 2 and above, and it's generally longer wearing than the insert. With Revo, their mount upgrade is actually not too much more than an insert - @theoldboy may be able to shed a bit more light on that mount. The dogbone mount does make a huge difference, and pair it with some decent rubber on the wheels, you'll feel a massive difference. Most common inserts are Forge or 034 Motorsport, around £50-60 usually. The bolt is supposed to be a single use bolt though, so keep that in mind when dropping the bolt out to put the insert in, and the bolt needs setting to the right torque.

My original plan was just a panel filter just to get the car breathing a bit better but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not one for daft amounts of induction noise though, just gets a bit boring after a while.

I'll check out progressive parts mate, thanks for that. I'll have a look at the revo mount whilst I'm there too.

Thanks for the help.

Can you/anyone recommend any must do mods to improve the standard car at all? Not looking to swap intercoolers or exhaust any time soon. May in a year or 2.

Deleted member 103408

For stage 1 Stock filter is fine, Revo do a panel filter as well and if you want to dress the engine they do a Carbon Intake that sits on top of the stock air box.

Decent Rubber and Dog Bone mount are the key performance changes.

Check out OBD11 / Carista or VCDS to see what you can do to turn stuff on the car that Seat did not.

Helpful changes

Change the Front Washers to Spray jets rather than three streams
If you have the SC or 5 Door then Change the gas struts on the rear to more powerful ones then when you hit the open boot button it opens all the way.
There are kits to install gas mounts on the Bonnet I love them.

Just read all the threads on hear and have a look at Readers Rides to see what others have done.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
For stage 1 Stock filter is fine, Revo do a panel filter as well and if you want to dress the engine they do a Carbon Intake that sits on top of the stock air box.

Decent Rubber and Dog Bone mount are the key performance changes.

Check out OBD11 / Carista or VCDS to see what you can do to turn stuff on the car that Seat did not.

Helpful changes

Change the Front Washers to Spray jets rather than three streams
If you have the SC or 5 Door then Change the gas struts on the rear to more powerful ones then when you hit the open boot button it opens all the way.
There are kits to install gas mounts on the Bonnet I love them.

Just read all the threads on hear and have a look at Readers Rides to see what others have done.

I'm happy enough with just a panel filter for now so I'll get one of those when funds allow.

With eh dog bone mount, this is the one I need? https://progressiveparts.com/revo-mqb-lower-torque-mount-rv582m500302

I'll get on the tablet tonight and have a good read through the threads on here.

Best place the struts and washer? Direct from seat?

Thanks

Deleted member 103408

That looks like the one (I got mine direct from Revo) make sure it comes with Fitting Tool

Struts you get off ebay do a search of the site and it will tell you what ones you need to order

Front struts come from a guy in Russia but if you check out the for sale Items there was a second hand set up for sale, if not Ebay - again search the site and you will find links.

When looking at changes make sure you get the correct model (preface lift and facelift can be different).

Reactions: Joedj9

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
That looks like the one (I got mine direct from Revo) make sure it comes with Fitting Tool

Struts you get off ebay do a search of the site and it will tell you what ones you need to order

Front struts come from a guy in Russia but if you check out the for sale Items there was a second hand set up for sale, if not Ebay - again search the site and you will find links.

When looking at changes make sure you get the correct model (preface lift and facelift can be different).

Not too fussed about bonnet struts but found a set of boot struts on Ebay for around £50 so that's good, thanks for that.

I've also spoke with a local company who can supply and fit me a mount from revo so I'll get that sorted too.

Thanks again for the help.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Usual mods are panel filter and upgraded intake hose. Some people opt to go with a muffler delete and turbo elbow too. (More recently I discovered a mod that some Golf R owners have done which is to remove the snow grate from inside the air box too)

Dogbone mount is probably the most common and best mod I think.

Res delete kits seem quite popular to give the car a bit more noise and pops.

The as @theoldboy mentions, coding changes through VCDS/OBDEleven will help you fine tune a few things too.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Usual mods are panel filter and upgraded intake hose. Some people opt to go with a muffler delete and turbo elbow too. (More recently I discovered a mod that some Golf R owners have done which is to remove the snow grate from inside the air box too)

Dogbone mount is probably the most common and best mod I think.

Res delete kits seem quite popular to give the car a bit more noise and pops.

The as @theoldboy mentions, coding changes through VCDS/OBDEleven will help you fine tune a few things too.

Definitely doing all of them asap then saving for a sachs clutch kit and then a revo stage 1 map. But that wont be for a while yet.

Hopefully I wont miss my focus ST when it goes at the weekend.

Also looking at getting a wheel refurb as the diamond cut finish has gone a bit funny. Probably looking at getting the full wheel done in grey. Will have to have a scout about for a pic of the 19s painted a different colour. Only found one pic so far. Would like to add some wheel spacers too once the wheels are done, maybe 15mm all round.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

Also looking at getting a wheel refurb as the diamond cut finish has gone a bit funny. Probably looking at getting the full wheel done in grey. Will have to have a scout about for a pic of the 19s painted a different colour. Only found one pic so far. Would like to add some wheel spacers too once the wheels are done, maybe 15mm all round.

I bought a set of powder coated wheels as the Diamond cut look wonderful when new and clean but they do suffer.

Original Wheels

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 19.58.23.png

Powder Coated

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 19.59.10.png

Deleted member 103408

You can get them repaired but i think there is a limit to the number of times they can re cut it (Think its 2 or 3). If you do get them re done there are several threads on here how to try and minimize the onset of white worm.

Personally I changed them to after market ones in the end.

Reactions: Joedj9
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.