HID's in Toledo

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Finally got my HID's fitted yesterday. Have to say the difference is amazing. The picture shows the HID 6K fitted in the passenger side and my Osram Nightbreaker in the drivers side. Even in daylight you can see the difference but at night I just cannot believe how much these babies light up the road.

tolly_hid.jpg

If anyone's thinking about this upgrade I would certainly recommend it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Get some night shots up mate.
How easy were they to fit and where did you get them from?

I will try to get some night shots up soon.

I got them of e-bay and got a good deal of the guy because my brother also got a set fitted in his Scooby at the same time.

Search for item number : 190268354011

This guy actually fitted them for free and the Toledo was pretty straight forward. The scooby on the other hand had morettes and was a bitch :rolleyes:

They are pretty much plug and play. The only modification is cutting some small holes in the light covers (plastic rears) and finding a place to fit the Ballast resistors. In the LEON section this was recently voted the best mod for under £50 although mine cost £62.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
are they road legal ??? i thought that this sort of mod screwed up the light pattern and there for would not pass the mot.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
are they road legal ??? i thought that this sort of mod screwed up the light pattern and there for would not pass the mot.

There is a long thread about this in the Leon forum mate, the outcome was that it would be very difficult to prove they are illegal, as long as the are correctly aligned they should pass the MOT.

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
If xenon lights are standard/options on some new cars, then how could this kit possibly be illegal? Idiots driving around with broken/bulbless/maladjusted/full-beam lights - now thats illegal.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
OEM HID's (not xenon - xenon is just the gas inside the bulb, and many tungsten-halogen bulbs are xenon-filled) put the light source in a different place from filament bulbs, and have a different reflector/lens installation at the build stage. Putting HID's into light fittings designed for filament bulbs will mean that the beam pattern is affected. There isn't an easy way to check: one thing you could do is mark the beam pattern on your garage wall before changing the bulbs then check that it's the same afterwards. Some adjustment will be needed, but as long as the dip pattern can be made acceptable, they should pass MOT.

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
The CE regulations for cars fitted with HDI headlamps require an AUTOMATIC self-levelling function (to avoid dazzle). Cars with OEM HDI have this function as standard.
Theoretically a car retrofitted with HDI's that does not have the automatic self levelling device should fail an MOT.

silver surfer

Mar 31, 2006
out there over the edge vw tech
hid +mot

all you check on an mot with lights are do they work are they correct colour IE not very blue or very yellow do they give a good pattern and is the aim ok other wise its all good as my cars had hids in for 3years now with a pass every year

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yep think there's a lot of stuff on the legality of these aftermarket HID's into standard Halogen headlights already without taking this thread down that road. Bottom line is are they totally legal = no, will you fail and MOT if they are setup correctly = no. I'll take my chances because I think they make driving much safer.

Right, back to the HID's in the Tolly and a few updated shots that may be helpful to some thinking of getting this done:-

Offside Ballast, fixed with bracket and screw to waterbottle-
Ballast_offside.jpg
[/IMG]

Nearside Ballast, fixed with double-sided tape down side of Battery cover-
BallastNearside.jpg
[/IMG]

Cutting for cabling-
HIDCableEntry.jpg
[/IMG]

HIDs + LED Sidelights-
HID_Only_daylight.jpg
[/IMG]

All lights on-
All_Lights_Daylight.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see the 6K HID's aren't too blue. I will try to get some night shots up later.

BigMon

They do look very good. I had Xenons on my Lupo GTI and do miss them.

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Looking good chap. I think it is worth going the extra mile and getting the angel eyes done too.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Looking good chap. I think it is worth going the extra mile and getting the angel eyes done too.

Have you got any pics of HID's in Angel eyes? Also what does it do for the light beam cos I think the Angel Eyes are proper Projector Lamps so might improve things even further?

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
Yep think there's a lot of stuff on the legality of these aftermarket HID's into standard Halogen headlights already without taking this thread down that road. Bottom line is are they totally legal = no, will you fail and MOT if they are setup correctly = no. I'll take my chances because I think they make driving much safer.

Right, back to the HID's in the Tolly and a few updated shots that may be helpful to some thinking of getting this done:-

Offside Ballast, fixed with bracket and screw to waterbottle-
Ballast_offside.jpg
[/IMG]

Nearside Ballast, fixed with double-sided tape down side of Battery cover-
BallastNearside.jpg
[/IMG]

Cutting for cabling-
HIDCableEntry.jpg
[/IMG]

HIDs + LED Sidelights-
HID_Only_daylight.jpg
[/IMG]

All lights on-
All_Lights_Daylight.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see the 6K HID's aren't too blue. I will try to get some night shots up later.

The nearside ballast can sit under the headlight on a shelf, hides it out of the way.;)

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
iirc i put my ballast inside the actual battery box and stuck it to the battery with one of the sticky pads... good place imo

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yep thought about having a look at the weekend on moving that one. Below the light sounds ideal if there's a shelf already there. Thanks!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.