1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Progressive Parts Rolling Road Day - 17th November 2019 - find out more here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

HIDs - What kind? Tips and Pics inside.

Discussion in 'Mk4 Ibiza Guides (6L) 2002-2008' started by mick-fr, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Packham

Packham Active Member

ahh good stuff, I just wasn't sure what cambus pro means, but if they'll work I'll get em ordered :)

2. Chris_a_73

Chris_a_73 1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07

Canbus means that it will work with newer models (such as Leon Mk2, Ibiza Mk5) which will show a dash error with LED sidelights and HID headlights. Models without canbus requirements can still use canbus products though.

3. Avim28

Avim28 Active Member

This was a massive help!! thanks.. il be putting on some decent HID's soon enough and be rid of poor yellow standard bulbs! :-D

4. Packham

Packham Active Member

Just been out for my first drive with HID's I've got 5000k bulbs, but they are quite blue. might be a silly question but do they need to wear in at all?

5. Chris_a_73

Which brand did you buy? Mine are 5k HIDs4u H7R and are perfectly white, not blue at all. They take 5-10 seconds to warm up, but no, they don't need wearing in.

#125 Chris_a_73, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. Packham

Packham Active Member

The same kit as you Chris, does yours show even a hint of blue?

7. Chris_a_73

Not at all. Closer to white/yellow than blue. Perfect white...

8. dedon

dedon Active Member

Hi guys.

Just a quick question regarding the installation of the bulbs.
    When you purchase a HID kit the bulbs are contained within a plastic cover. This has a top half and a bottom half which screw into each other. The top half can be screwed out and removed but the bottom threaded piece can only go down along the wires and i cant seem to thread it off. It will not fit up over the bump base which fits into the light socket. Do i just break this piece of plastic off or am i missing something stupid?

Cheers

9. Mike19

Mike19 Guest

Hi guys, signed up a few days ago and this is my first post.

So I bought an H4 kit from eBay and I've just been trying to fit it for the best part of half an hour but I'm getting a bit confused.

I would post a couple of pictures of the kit but my post count won't allow it yet. Basically I have the 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts but then I have a connecting lead for the two ballasts; but there's also a fuse and 'wiring harness controller'. Also one of the ends has a 3 prong connector that you'd use for the old bulb. Now this has to go across the car which means I can just clip the back of the light bracket on without making a hole in it, which ideally I didn't want to do.

I was under the impression that it was just the bulb and ballast that was needed and you could fit all of this inside the light fixing.

10. BeezaDave

BeezaDave LimerickHurlingSupporter

I think its only the H7 kits that fit inside the light fixing. AFAIK the H4 kits have to run across the front of the car and sometimes to the battery aswell.

11. JonnyH10

Think your right Dave. My H4 kit runs across the front of engine bay between the two headlights, and there's a connection to the positive battery terminal. Ballast's didn't fit inside the headlight. :(

12. Mike19

Mike19 Guest

Not having much luck with this ha. Cheers Beeza yea after watching a few tutorial videos I realised that would probably be the case. Unfortunately though I can't get them to work.

I set it up, not worrying about wire management for the time being, but I can't for the life of me get these things glowing. I've tried it from scratch 3 times now, each time putting the original H4s back in to make sure I hadn't blown a fuse or anything. I have the red wire connected to the positive contact of the battery and each of the two black wires earthed to the chassis, plus all the other plugs connected up to their respective partners. Starting to think it's a faulty unit but I don't want to have to return it if it's just something I'm doing wrong. Any tips?

13. JonnyH10

I had the same problem when I fitted mine for the first time, wouldn't work at all. Turned out my two earths werent good, so I connected two larger ring connector things and earthed them on the top mount bolts.

14. Mike19

Mike19 Guest

Ah fair enough well I'll give it another go tomorrow as it's starting to get a bit dark, I guess I could smear a bit of Vaseline on them also to try and increase the conductivity.

15. good post! as soon as iv been paid i will make the all important purchase of some of these look well good

16. Packham

Packham Active Member

One of my lights is quite blue compared to the other side anyone got any idea what it could be? :(

Cheers

17. random-phil

random-phil Guest

Just ordered my HID’s 35w 6000K H7R…. eBay job from the link in this thread.
    I will let you know if even an idiot can install these bad boys.

So what’s the craic with m.o.t is it ok or better to switch back to standard jobbies for mot???

18. Chris_a_73

Yep, personally I switch back to standard halogens for MOT time. However various people have got through it with HIDs, I just didn't want to take the risk..

19. random-phil

random-phil Guest

Guess it's pretty easy to switch from one to the other then. Hopefully have them on at the weekend.... mite be at vinyl wrap shop tho.... I will try and get some pictures up when I can.

20. Chris_a_73

If you take the kit out in one piece, it only takes <5 mins to reinstall them. Drilling holes in the headlamp covers is what prolonged the original installation, the rest of it is easy.