High pitch whistle

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Hi, pd160 70kmiles, turbo popped at 63k, replaced with a new turbo - all good but last week, after putting on my air con, I had a high pitch sound as soon as the boost kicks in up until 2k revs, as soon as it hits that, the sound dissappears (I believe). Now I haven't used my air con since (don't think that's the reason) and I still have the noise. There is no power loss to my knowledge, unless there is a slight boost leak? :/, car got serviced the other day and he mentioned a boost pipe was a bit lose, didn't say which but he tightened it back up. Although I still have the noise.

Any ideas? Surely not the turbo going?

Also, car starts at 1k revs, no matter if warm or cold (no faults on system). Car goes back to normal idle (900). But as soon as the engine gets turned off and back on, it goes to 1k, until I drive it for a while again.

Aby ideas?

Apr 12, 2010
air leak on or around the inlet manifold, check for oily deposits around the head to manifold join

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
air leak on or around the inlet manifold, check for oily deposits around the head to manifold join

Thanks for reply, newbie question though, where do I need to look? Or is this ramp job to look?

Also noticed my boost pipe isn't firmly connected and has a bit of play on in it. Taken a pic to upload.

Apr 12, 2010
Remove your engine cover and feel around the inlet manifold, you can get to the ends of it easy enough

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff

So i'm assuming you mean the pipes towards the top and left of the engine. There was a bit of oil from around the oil cap and neck of the oil entry but i'm assuming thats from where its been serviced. I've now cleaned that to make sure no oil reappears.

As you can see, fair bit of play in that pipe (pretty loose to the top)

Thanks for replying btw

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
hull
I hve the same sound high pitch whistle on my pd160 come at about 1.2k revs till about 2.1k revs then goes away it even dies this on Down rev of the engine.
I have looked into this fault for a while now and not found a thing ie no boost leak no vacume leak and no exhaust leak.
When I looked at mine it just purely sounded like the turbo was making the sound.
I hve had no loss of power or any problums with my car being like this and done an easy 2000 miles since it started about 3 months ago.

But if u do find out what the cause is please let me know

Apr 13, 2011
hull

So i'm assuming you mean the pipes towards the top and left of the engine. There was a bit of oil from around the oil cap and neck of the oil entry but i'm assuming thats from where its been serviced. I've now cleaned that to make sure no oil reappears.

As you can see, fair bit of play in that pipe (pretty loose to the top)

Thanks for replying btw

Most f your boost pipes on your car arent really tight but that don't matter as long as there's no leaks from them.
If there leaking u tend to see slight oil stains around there the pipes join if theres no oil the then I'd say there most Likly not leaking

kiddi125

i have exactly the same issue on my pd130. again, no boost leaks, no vaccum leaks or oil leaks, spent ages vigously looking around the engine bay but found nothing. as said, the noise doesnt effect the cars performane or drive in any way, its just bugging me to know what it is so if you find anything. let me know

Apr 13, 2011
hull
i have exactly the same issue on my pd130. again, no boost leaks, no vaccum leaks or oil leaks, spent ages vigously looking around the engine bay but found nothing. as said, the noise doesnt effect the cars performane or drive in any way, its just bugging me to know what it is so if you find anything. let me know

This seems to be quite a common problem by the sounds of things but tobehoest u quite like its whistle lol

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Revive of my old thread. Still getting this problem, I've taken in to the garage but they say they not sure what it is. As everything seems fine in regards to everything mentioned about.

Anyone else found a fix? My car has done over 7,000miles with this now and it's pretty annoying. Although not affecting the cars performance. :shrug: