Highest BHP 1.8T in the UK???

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Saw this on Edition 38 forum. JNL built engine. GT40 turbo. Below has been written by JP at JNL:

'Just came back from a dyno with what we believe to be UK's highest hp figure for a 1.8t. It took Karl 3yrs and 4mnths before the car was even turnkey and our atrocious weather over winter meant it has taken this long to finally up the boost on his 1.8t. But it was well worth it when we hit 756.6hp [email protected] boost measured on a Dyno Dynamics. The only thing holding us back from pushing it further was that the injectors maxed out at 92% duty cycle (1200cc ones).

I've attached 3 plots a 1.5bar run at 591hp for sensible street driving, yes this is not a trailer queen but a street driven car. The 2.4bar plot and those that prefer All Wheel Power Figs the final of 606.2hp at the wheels. When I finish editing the vids I'll put up a link of today's outing

p.s. excuse the image qualities as they are photos of the printouts.

1.5Bar hp & tq

15barMedium.jpg

2.4Bar hp & Boost

FlywheelPowervs24BoostMedium.jpg

2.4Bar @ the wheels (AWD)& tq

AWHPvstqMedium.jpg

A big thankyou in no particular order to various people from Karl

Andy @ AK Bodycraft for the paintwork and use of his workshop for many a year to prep the shell
JP @ JNL Racing for the engine design, cylinderhead work and build
Ryan @ 2 Bar Tuning for the multitude of hours mapping
Charlie @ Surrey Rolling Roads for giving dyno time at the most ridiculous of hours in the day/evenings and supplying a blinding Syvecs ECU to manage it all.
DonR for having designed the blinding SEM intake that made the engine setup so much easier as it was one less thing to have to design from scratch.
And of course all the usual friends and family palava for helping out and putting up with his obsession

and a pretty pic of the engine bay, and no the nitrous is not connected yet for those who are wondering. I believe the exact words were "I'm glad we ran out of fueling as I want to make sure she still goes straight"

EngineBayMedium.jpg

Little bit more info

The car is a 4WD MK2 golf running Haldex transmission
Engine is a custom designed 1983cc dry sumped 1.8t with a 10K redline and GT40 turbo bolted to it, the low boost powercurve makes it behave like a gt3071 on the street until 4800rpm where it just carries on pulling until the end of the cam profile at around 8300rpm.
The 2.4Bar map described by a passenger today was "I thought the acceleration was relentless and then the turbo started whistling as it came on boost at 5000rpm which is when I realised a new definition of the word acceleration."

Video:

Dyno Run

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I was about to criticise the immense hike more than halfway up the rev range, but as I carried on reading I saw that was actually planned! It must just drive like a reasonably well tuned 1.8 until 4K, but anywhere after that and you'd best have your last will and testament sorted first...

I also got very confused when I saw it had done 12.5 seconds at Santa pod, and looked very much like an Ibiza....:doh:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Shame it has the enormous bonnet lump and lairy colour otherwise it would be quite a sleeper. From the back there are no lairy pipes giving anything away (like the old Dubsport cars which had twin exits through the number plate panel).

Can't wait to see it in action.

JNL

or the run after ;) (copy and paste and put www before it as I havent got 15 posts in order to post links :p

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSp6-JKEkCo

cheers for the comments by the way. We still have quite a lot of tweaking to do with regards to boost delivery as on the high boost map as we are down 220hp at 5000rpm compared to the 1.5bar boost map. But we decided to cut the session short as we maxed out the 1200cc fuel injectors as they hit 92% duty cycle.

So we have some 1600's on order and will be heading back to the dyno in the near future to finish dialing in the cams to find the elusive sweet spot for the higher boost figures and go for slightly higher figures hopefully before Gti festival. Not that it would be of any use due to the track surface but hey who cares :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
8 injectors.. for the win :D

even I have more injector flow than you.. from a baby GT35R :p :) :thumbup:

750 + 830 in mine, with 55% injector duty cycle when all 8 are running

JNL

Nah Bosch 1600's will do nicely to go to 8 now would be murders as everything including wiring loom would have to be redone. Intake repainted the lot!

So plug n Play over endless grief I know what we are planning :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members