Highest BHP 1.8T in the UK???

JNL

wow, how many people did you have leaning on the car during the coastdowns??

150bhp loss in the transmission........................?

It's a bit deceiving on the power figures as it is a Dyno Dynamics. They use a standard across the board 30% transmission loss for 4WD's. Which results in exceptionally high transmission losses to other dyno's. Ironically what you'll find is that the calculated flywheel figure is very accurate and the whp is incredibly low compared to other dyno's.

We use Surrey Rolling Roads for two specific reasons
1) Charlie straps the cars downwards meaning no wheelspin during mapping sessions when you come on boost. Which is very important on a car that is too powerful to map on the road safely.
2) It's known as the Heartbreaker dyno as he has his calibrations set very pessimistically. This means whatever we produce there it will automatically be more elsewhere.

Surrey Rolling Roads is one of two dyno's I know of that you can put a production car on and read factory flywheel figures give or take a couple of BHP. The other being a Cartec dyno at MRC Tuning.

After we finish the final map which will be when we have the new hubs, cv's, driveshafts and gearbox (yes so far on just 15 runs broken 2 custom uprated driveshafts, sheared the noses of two cv joints and stripped the teeth of the 4th gear lay gear on two seperate freshly build strengthened box's) we are going on a roadtrip.

First we take the DD figures. Then drive to Banbury and take the Cartec figures which will give approximately 10-14% more wheel horse power but approx the same flywheel as it measures coast down. And then upto awesome gti in Manchester to put her on a dynojet inertia dyno so we have a comparison to the US figures.

As a reference though from experience on other cars that we have tested this way if the DD reads 750BHP and 606AWHP then the Cartec from experience will read 760BHP and 660AWHP and then the dynojet will read 785BHP and 750AWHP.

This is because an inertia dyno can't load the car up properly resulting in flat torque curves instead of one that drops of. The end result being that HP being a mathematical calculation of Torque vs RPM they always read incredibly high top end figures. This is so recognised in Europe as an issue with US figures that some of the Scandinavians will Joke and say if a Dynojet reads 750AWHP then you have around 720BHP on a real dyno.

hth JP

JNL

Given a particular set mode, all DD Dynos should read the same wherever you go......

...........Should...........

There is a calibration factor that adjusts for atmospheric pressure and temperature it is this calibration factor that different dyno operators mess about with. To the extend that in the 2008 SRS North South rolling road day we had one guy that rand his car up in the North of England on a DD, drove down straight away to the Surrey Rolling Roads one. (4-5hr journey). Showed his plot to Charlie who laughed at the correction factors, and the same car made 70hp less.
In 2009 they used a different DD up north and this time round one of the people that made the 4-5hr journey was within 4hp as they ran the same correction factors.

JNL

get a decent gearset :D
dog box will be a superb addition

We're on the case at the moment working out ratios, but it looks like a 2-3months lead time so we may temporarily chuck a stock box in just so we can make inters and run it on the low power 1.5bar map.

Do you know anyone thats tried the sequential shift conversion from SQS? Looks interesting just wondering how driveable it is?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
We're on the case at the moment working out ratios, but it looks like a 2-3months lead time so we may temporarily chuck a stock box in just so we can make inters and run it on the low power 1.5bar map.

Do you know anyone thats tried the sequential shift conversion from SQS? Looks interesting just wondering how driveable it is?

RobT runs ie on SQs gears currently.
I had one years ago, but only with a quaife dog box, which was not as good a box as SQS is now

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
DD rollers are just as open to fudge figures as any...
there is a lot or PR hype people have been suckered into, believing they are accurate and heartbreaker.. aka just plain inaccurate at times

JNL

^^^^ yep that's why we stick to people we know. Could you get RobT to contact me? As I don't have anyway of pm'ing people on this forum?!?!?

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
wow what a monster,as regards gears what about having the gears or box cryo frozen? s adds a lot of strength might be worth a try?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Ibiza Alex still managed to stripp a gear (3rd I think it was) even though his box was cryo treated, and that was only on a 2871 (I think)....

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Lasted longer, just not long enough. 3rd stripped on non cryo gears and 5th on cryo gears. I believe that 4th has now been done too!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.