Hissing Noise

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Hi all,

This morning while starting the car up I had the drivers door open and could hear a hissing noise coming from the underside of the car. (no snake jokes) The hissing continues while the engine is running and then for a split second once it's turned off. Is this normal?

I'm not the most mechanical minded when it comes to cars so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
It's a 184ps diesel SC Mk3. I can't see any visible leaks under the bonnet. The sound seems to be coming from underneath the car and not the actual engine/bonnet area.

I'll stick my site gear on at lunch and try and get underneath the car.

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
Hmm yeah probs best to try and locate to where its actually coming from. Sometimes a hissing is something loosing pressure so like an air leak. Wouldn't expect it to be anything serious from a new car. If you can't find out just pop it to dealer and they should have a look. It should still have a warranty I'm guessing.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers Luntley, yeh I'll have a good look this afternoon :) It just happens to be going into the dealer on Tuesday because of a rattling door so I'll get them to have a look at it then.

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
No worries :) I pick mine up next week and hope I don't have any issues. Sorry I couldn't be any more help to you. Good luck with it and let me know what it is when you find out.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
My 1.2TSI makes all sorts of whirring and hissing noises not loud though. I think it's to do with purging fuel lines and motors making settings on the engine. lights etc. All under ECU control of course

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
I have heard also this kind of sound when I havent't closed drivers door before switching on the engine. I have 1,4 TSI (140).

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers for the help :D It's probably happened since I got the car but only noticed it now due to having the door open when starting it up! I'll ask the stealers when it's in on Tuesday just to clear things up :)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
They were both turned off as I thought it might have something to do with them.

It sounds to me more of a high pitched whine than a hissing
But everyone interprets sounds differently
Sounds to me like an actuator or a pump powering down
I belive certain models have a pump that runs on to pump cooling water round the turbo although I don't think that is the noise I'm hearing
All sounds perfectly normall to me just one of the many noises modern cars make
Out of curiosity I'll try and find out what is making the noise

But if you're worried ask your dealer to take a look