Hit a pothole, what to do next?

silles

May 4, 2017
I was cruising back from Brecon Beacons on the M4 when I hit a big f*&^!"ng pothole at 69MPH. The car (Cupra 300) beeped and the tyre pressure warning came on.

I thought that was it and i had a puncture or buckled the wheel so I pulled over to investigate ... all seemed good, no visual damage ... so afer ranting for 5 minutes I moved on.

Car seemed to be driving ok, not pulling left/right, no vibrations (tested it at 70+++, admittedly floored it an might have went over a bit), steering wheel centred.

Couple of questions
- is it worth taking it to a garage?
- where?
- can I claim back it back the garge costs? ( I only have the dashcam footage )

ps: sorry in advance but I'm going to be a middle lane hogger from now on, the left lane's are pothole infested death traps now days :(

Pothol-on-M4.jpg

Last edited:

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
You should be OK, the tyre pressure system is TC based in the Cupra, not an actual pressure measurement. The bang might have just confused the system and thrown up the warning as precaution. You just got lucky that you didnt damage your wheel. As long as the tyre is holding air, not causing vibration while driving and the steering is normal a garage is overkill.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I'd still check to see if the wheel is buckled, as I've had this and the only symptom was uneven tyre wear.

You can make a claim if a) you can establish that the highway authority either knew about the defect but took no action within their maximum response period or b) that they aren't inspecting the network according to their policy.

If it's a defect they picked up and repaired within both limits then you won't be able to claim, no matter what the damage.

Also, unless the wheel and tyre need replacing as a minimum I wouldn't recommend even trying.

silles

May 4, 2017
You should be OK, the tyre pressure system is TC based in the Cupra, not an actual pressure measurement. The bang might have just confused the system and thrown up the warning as precaution. You just got lucky that you didnt damage your wheel. As long as the tyre is holding air, not causing vibration while driving and the steering is normal a garage is overkill.
thanks, that's what I thought

silles

May 4, 2017
I'd still check to see if the wheel is buckled, as I've had this and the only symptom was uneven tyre wear.

You can make a claim if a) you can establish that the highway authority either knew about the defect but took no action within their maximum response period or b) that they aren't inspecting the network according to their policy.

If it's a defect they picked up and repaired within both limits then you won't be able to claim, no matter what the damage.

Also, unless the wheel and tyre need replacing as a minimum I wouldn't recommend even trying.

How would I do that? Visually looks ok to me

ecklad

Lord Edmund Blackadder
Check the inside of the wheel also for deformations - best way to do a proper check is take the car to a tire fitting place, take the wheel from the car and ask them to spin it on the machine and check for balance and/or deformations
I agree with this, hit a similar pothole. That beep was more likely the front parking assistance warning it was not available. My alloy looked ok but was buckled once spun up on a balancing machine.. Get it checked as the tyre sidewall could be damaged as well..

Be aware the 300 Ronal alloys are silly money!

Good luck..

Daz

silles

May 4, 2017
I agree with this, hit a similar pothole. That beep was more likely the front parking assistance warning it was not available. My alloy looked ok but was buckled once spun up on a balancing machine.. Get it checked as the tyre sidewall could be damaged as well..

Be aware the 300 Ronal alloys are silly money!

Good luck..

Daz
did u have any vibrations? or any other signs ?

I'm not sure what beeped, I'll upload the video later ...

ecklad

Lord Edmund Blackadder
did u have any vibrations? or any other signs ?

I'm not sure what beeped, I'll upload the video later ...
Slight vibration at 80mph only. No visible damage but the inner rim is deformed so best get it checked for the tyre safety alone.

I have sourced a second hand 300 rim and plan to get it and the buckled one refurbed. I have also purchased a set of Cupra 280/290 rims plus tyres and fitted them instead. I prefer the looks and they are easier to clean.

silles

May 4, 2017
Slight vibration at 80mph only. No visible damage but the inner rim is deformed so best get it checked for the tyre safety alone.

I have sourced a second hand 300 rim and plan to get it and the buckled one refurbed. I have also purchased a set of Cupra 280/290 rims plus tyres and fitted them instead. I prefer the looks and they are easier to clean.

i have no vibrations up 100+ MPH ( don't ask how do i know ) ... just to be on the safe side I'll get it checked this weekend ...

silles

May 4, 2017
updated first post with video / picture from dashcam ...
It's hard to see how deep the hole was .. but u can hear the bang
what is the beep?

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
Be mindful me and a few others have issues since hitting big pot hole. No obvious damage but just odd dampening, feels like jelly when hitting some bumps and has a tiny after shock wobble So hard to describe

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Could be a bent/damaged shock absorber, or other suspension component. A high-end wheel alignment check might help diagnose it.

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
Could be a bent/damaged shock absorber, or other suspension component. A high-end wheel alignment check might help diagnose it.
If only if was that some. There is no visble damage, even had a seat master tech look visivally and he couldn't find any obvious issues. My guessing is the strut but until I replace then won't know.

silles

May 4, 2017
I was cruising back from Brecon Beacons on the M4 when I hit a big f*&^!"ng pothole at 69MPH. The car (Cupra 300) beeped and the tyre pressure warning came on.

I thought that was it and i had a puncture or buckled the wheel so I pulled over to investigate ... all seemed good, no visual damage ... so afer ranting for 5 minutes I moved on.

Car seemed to be driving ok, not pulling left/right, no vibrations (tested it at 70+++, admittedly floored it an might have went over a bit), steering wheel centred.

Couple of questions
- is it worth taking it to a garage?
- where?
- can I claim back it back the garge costs? ( I only have the dashcam footage )

ps: sorry in advance but I'm going to be a middle lane hogger from now on, the left lane's are pothole infested death traps now days :(

View attachment 637

just washed the alloys, no sign of any damage ...
tyre pressure is spot on
Went through couple of speed humps, suspension feels just as good as new

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Get a wheel alignment and check the wheel for run out or out of round. Alignment may only be out a bit, you probably wouldn't notice until you've killed a pair of tyres prematurely.

silles

May 4, 2017
Get a wheel alignment and check the wheel for run out or out of round. Alignment may only be out a bit, you probably wouldn't notice until you've killed a pair of tyres prematurely.

that's the plan. also check wheels balance ...
what's the diff between 2 / 4 wheels alignment? there is a garage nearby , which do 2 wheels alignment for 60 quid. does it seem reasonable?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Don't bother with two wheel alignment, as they can be fine but the car is still crabbing sideways. Go for a well maintained precision system, to include toe, caster and camber, on all four instead. Some larger Kwik fit centres have the Hunter system and is a reasonable cost with a timed guarantee. This solved a pot hole problem with my last car - I'd thought it was the front wheel but turns out it was the rear wheel toeing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: silles
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.