Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Carbon Fibre

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
guys, started a new thread as i moved some pics in my photobucket account and lost the links :blink:

started with this:

01032010370.jpg

then removed the rollers after some advice

02032010375.jpg

today a bit more work done...

i removed my centre vents and firstly found this:
05032010380.jpg

so i cut it out with my hacksaw, its made of soft rubber and a plastic 'backbone'.

trial fit without gauges
05032010381.jpg

trial fit with some gauges i had lying around to check the fit/look with gauges. i couldnt get a good pic as i am using a camera phone and the pics dont do the gauge any justice - i am pretty happy with it.
05032010383.jpg

05032010385.jpg

05032010386.jpg

05032010383.jpg

Big thank you to Phillc for giving me the idea and helpful advice :clap:

let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
right, been to a plastic moulding company this morning and things didnt go to plan. they basically said it would cost a couple of k's just for the initial mould and then a few £'s to make each one unless i wanted 1000's of these. they discussed diffrent options and even the cheapest was going to be approx £4000 to start. bugger :cry:

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
right, been to a plastic moulding company this morning and things didnt go to plan. they basically said it would cost a couple of k's just for the initial mould and then a few £'s to make each one unless i wanted 1000's of these. they discussed diffrent options and even the cheapest was going to be approx £4000 to start. bugger :cry:

Go to china :happy:

robertj

weight is the enemy

You won't want to hear this but that actually sounds cheap! I was talking to someone today about producing a mould for 3D glasses. They were looking at £80k to produce a mould that would be good for 1million pairs! So proportionally a couple of grand seems pretty darn cheap. Seeing as Nomad sell their pillars for about £53 I guess you'd need to clear about a hundred units to recover your costs, after that you're in the money.
I reckon that could be doable if you sell them on a certain auction site globally.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
I voted for oem satin black, reason for this is, this looks easy for people to DIY carbon fibre wrap. I like the oem look myself but aleast people have a choice what they want to do. Just to add your hard work looks real good, I'm very impressed :)

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i did mention china to the mouldig co and they said they have contacts in china and the £4k quote was relating to chinese manufacture.

regarding the fibreglass skin, how would i make this and then make moulds from it?

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
hi mark, i really dont have a clue on how the fibreglass jobbie works. to me i'm thinking everything would stick together! if anyone can point me to the right direction on how to do this then i would be happy to give this a go. wll be searching youtube/google for answers!