Homologation

napster

Do homologation rules still apply these days? Are homologated versions of current cars available to purchase like the Manta 400 was and if available would you buy direct from the factory or through a dealership? I've had a look at the FIA website but it doesn't really tell you much.

Does anyone know if there are any factory special versions of the Ibiza available, homologated or not? For example, Irmscher did several special versions of the Manta including a road version of the 400 (for homologation rules).

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Mike_IbizaCupra said:
Not meaning to sound daft... what the heck is homologated? :confused:

Mike

A vehicle must be homologated by the sanctioning body in order to race in a given league (a set of strict rules or standards to determine whether such approval should be given).

Eg. engine capacity, wheel / tyre size, minimum / maximum dimensions of F1 car.

jj10

sell me your car!!
Jul 11, 2005
Parts unknown...
I think it's when the manufacturer has to do X number of roadlegal versions of a car in order to enter a race version into a particular series(??)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
napster said:
Are homologated versions of current cars available to purchase

What like?

SEAT Leon S2000? meets the FIA S2000 Homologation rules & regs

I think you'd be looking at >125k if you wanted one... if they'll sell you one.

jj10

sell me your car!!
Jul 11, 2005
Parts unknown...
Some (very rich with tooo much spare time/money) people manage to get hold of factory race-spec machines - so if you don't set your sights too high you never know...

napster

Great response. £125k is a bit out of my price bracket!

Like with the Manta 400, Opel had to make 200 road going versions in order to comply with the 1982 FIA regulations which required a manufacturer to produce 200 examples in order to for the FIA to homologate, or approve a car for group B rallying.

Thanks for the info mOrk.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
They do have to make some cars (2500) but then you can do so much more to them to 'make' them comply

saves making so called 'homologation specials'

Peugeot did it with that long bodied 206 a few yrs back

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
m0rk said:
They do have to make some cars (2500) but then you can do so much more to them to 'make' them comply

saves making so called 'homologation specials'

Peugeot did it with that long bodied 206 a few yrs back
they changed the bumpers ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.