Horn and wheel controls not working :(

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
So my steering wheel controls decided to stop working the other day, checked the fuses under the bonnet and none seem to have blown, then I realised that the horn isnt working either!
Has anyone had this problem before? My mates an aa man so going to see if he can have a look for me, but would the fault show up on vagcom?
It is still under warrenty (not manufacturers) so hopefully will be covered!
Cheers
Baggy

JMP

May 27, 2004
I dont think you have the luxury of it being a fuse. This is a semi-common problem with Leon. I had it with my Cupra, I think in the end it was the steering control box under the steering wheel that was changed and fixed the issue. Do a search, there are some discussions about it.

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
It doesn't sound good whatever the issue is. All of the fuses have been checked and its not them, going jbs to get a dpf delete tomorrow so will ask them to have a look for me

blue2

I recently had the same problem. Intitially they diagnosed it as the stearing wheel coupling, but a replacement didn't fix the problem. They did fix it second time around but I was never told the exact problem. It happened just outside of the warranty period, but SEAT did pay for 50% of the costs (total cost circa £200).
I understand that VW are aware of this common fault (I believe they refer to it as a "TPI"), if you push your dealer harder than I did you might get more financial help?

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
I've had it fixed now at the garage i got the car from, turns out it wasn't covered by their warranty :(
It was the control unit for the steering column that went, or so they thought until they realised the control pods on the wheel had gone aswell. Luckily they paid for the pods and some towards the control unit. I still had to pay £185, i shall be on the phone to seat later see if they can help me out ;-)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I've had it fixed now at the garage i got the car from, turns out it wasn't covered by their warranty :(
It was the control unit for the steering column that went, or so they thought until they realised the control pods on the wheel had gone aswell. Luckily they paid for the pods and some towards the control unit. I still had to pay £185, i shall be on the phone to seat later see if they can help me out ;-)

A failed horn wasn't covered by their warranty? That's a safety feature and an MOT failure. I wouldn't be paying a penny personally.

mikependleton

My controls went off yesterday, i've had the VAGCOM system on at my local garage and there is no response from the steering wheel control module, although the airbag still showed as working. New unit ordered and will be fitted after christmas.

mikependleton

Well, got it fitted and smoke started to come from the steering wheel controls! Apparantly the wheel controls are 1 unit and that also needed replacing. So after a controller box and new buttons, re-programming and labour, it came to a lovely £330 inc vat ! Hence, the car is now FOR SALE !

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members