Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Hose/Spray Symbol On Scuttle Panel

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by GrayT, Mar 19, 2019.

1. GrayT

GrayT I'm Old

On the perforated section of the bulkhead scuttle panel to the rear left of the engine bay (as looking at the car from the front - so I mean the drivers side), there's a hose symbol with a water spray pattern embossed on the plastic. What does this denote? I don't think the cover provides access to anything. Does it just mean you are encouraged to rinse that area through with a hose to clean out debris etc?

2. silky16v

silky16v #VagDoctor

it means don't pressure wash this area lol!

kazand likes this.
  3. GrayT

GrayT I'm Old

Thanks for the reply. Not sure the answer was quite as obvious as your lol implied as I would have thought it would be better to have a hose symbol crossed through rather than one with no cross?! If that's the case it's presumably because it's near the ECU. The ECU on my A4 was positioned low down near bulkhead under the scuttle and the drain grommets used to get blocked with accumulated grime. A lot of people had ECU's fry because they were totally unaware they were driving around with water sloshing about around it.

4. Damo H

Damo H That Carbon s(k)nob down the street ;)

I thought it did have a cross on it,

5. Damo H

...not quite a cross but obvious it’s a “do not do this” symbol...

0C3922BE-30F2-4CED-B0CC-C770344342FE.jpeg

kazand likes this.
  6. Damo H

And the ecu is next to the battery on the right.

7. GrayT

GrayT I'm Old

Ok. I stand corrected. I think my symbol isn’t in the corner like that. I didn’t notice the strike through when I looked. I guess it’s like a no entry type symbol but I would have thought an angle or a cross would be better if it’s that essential but I was just curious. Given all the dead leaves and dirt that find their way there I thought it could have meant that was the one area it was safe to flush it out! (don’t worry, I haven’t). I do need glasses these days though.

Seastormer and Damo H like this.
  8. Damo H

It’s one of them ‘can’t see the wood for the trees’ moments. At least you didn’t do it :)

9. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

Makes sense when explained and I looked at the above picture, but up until then I had puzzled as to what this symbol was telling me whenI saw it undo the bonnet, need to wear my specs when checking the oil etc!