Hose/Spray Symbol On Scuttle Panel

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
On the perforated section of the bulkhead scuttle panel to the rear left of the engine bay (as looking at the car from the front - so I mean the drivers side), there's a hose symbol with a water spray pattern embossed on the plastic. What does this denote? I don't think the cover provides access to anything. Does it just mean you are encouraged to rinse that area through with a hose to clean out debris etc?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for the reply. Not sure the answer was quite as obvious as your lol implied as I would have thought it would be better to have a hose symbol crossed through rather than one with no cross?! If that's the case it's presumably because it's near the ECU. The ECU on my A4 was positioned low down near bulkhead under the scuttle and the drain grommets used to get blocked with accumulated grime. A lot of people had ECU's fry because they were totally unaware they were driving around with water sloshing about around it.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
...not quite a cross but obvious it’s a “do not do this” symbol...

0C3922BE-30F2-4CED-B0CC-C770344342FE.jpeg

Reactions: kazand

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Ok. I stand corrected. I think my symbol isn’t in the corner like that. I didn’t notice the strike through when I looked. I guess it’s like a no entry type symbol but I would have thought an angle or a cross would be better if it’s that essential but I was just curious. Given all the dead leaves and dirt that find their way there I thought it could have meant that was the one area it was safe to flush it out! (don’t worry, I haven’t). I do need glasses these days though.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ok. I stand corrected. I think my symbol isn’t in the corner like that. I didn’t notice the strike through when I looked. I guess it’s like a no entry type symbol but I would have thought an angle or a cross would be better if it’s that essential but I was just curious. Given all the dead leaves and dirt that find their way there I thought it could have meant that was the one area it was safe to flush it out! (don’t worry, I haven’t). I do need glasses these days though.
It’s one of them ‘can’t see the wood for the trees’ moments. At least you didn’t do it :)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Makes sense when explained and I looked at the above picture, but up until then I had puzzled as to what this symbol was telling me whenI saw it undo the bonnet, need to wear my specs when checking the oil etc!