how can i reset my ecu?

mtarifi

well guys i have a seat ibiza 1.4mpi engine and i know that this forum is for cupras but i was wondering how can i reset the ecu of the car, and the care is a 2000 model.thanxguys for ur help and hope to hear from u soon.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
you should be able to reset the ecu by disconecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it.

Welcome to the forum and don't worry, it's not a cupra forum there's loads of people driving other seats and other makes.

Reactions: Madda

mtarifi

thans man so a cpl of minutes like 20 min is ok and then just turn the car on and go drive

mtarifi

well man thanx i tried it and my ecu is reseted and the performance of the car is better. thanx a lot man

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
if yor trying to reset any adaptions on the ECU make sure you use all yor rev range so the ECU learns to fuel properly, it often helps to do this to motors mainly cos when cars are new people tend to bed the engine in and keep revs reasonably low, so this is the first thing the ECU learns, thats why the sometimes feel a bit unwilling when you do decide to plant it :D

1835harri

The legend
May 21, 2007
Llanelli, SW Wales
to reset your ECU, you have to do a little more than just disconnect the battery and plug it in again.

Disconnect the battery and leave disconnected for about 30 mins.

connect the battery back up and go put the key in the ignition.

Open all the doors, boot and bonnet and turn the key to get all the lights on. (This i am told alligns the throttle body)

Close all doors, bonnet and boot and get in the car.

Start the engine and turn everything electrical on, opening the windows full and then back up again. (This teaches the ECU what the maximum amount of electrical output maybe required from it.)

Turn everything off apart from the car and go for a spin

I personnaly wouldnt bother reseting my ECU as a matter of course. I only ever donr this when my fault light came on and it was my MAF sensor. I reset the ECU to see if it was a problem with MAF or a faulty sensor.

ckempo

Mar 5, 2008
Burntwood
Ok, out of curiosity then:

If you've had an ECU remap and you go through a reset process like this, do you effectively lose those settings if you do the above, or is a remap permanently stored in a way that what the ECU has learned (like what the max electrical draw might be, as in the windows example above) is reset but the other settings (the increased bhp and torque!) remain?

Coz I'm thinking. My Leon has been remapped, but if I do the above, wont it learn and adapt to my driving style from scratch, rather than the guy who owned it for the first 18months of its life?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members