How do I change my sidelight bulbs?

bozwellox

Jazz Maveric
Jan 8, 2007
Oxford
Hi all.

I have had a search but the info I found was mainly for Ibiza's. Anyway, how the hell do I get the 501 sidelight bulbs out of my LCR headlamps? I've twisted and pulled but not no avail and now my fingers have cuts all over them.

There must be an easy way to do this? Surely I am just being dumb :D

I am having this problem too so I feel your pain. The stupid thing is I've done it before when I swapped over to LEDs, but the MOT centre failed me on them and changed back to standard yellow things. Now I'm trying to swap back to LED and I can't do it.

I even went to Halfords and paid £2.99 for their blokey to have a go. After 45 mins of trying everything possible (bar removing the bumper) he had to admit defeat and give up!! Fair play to him for giving it 45 mins though.

Looks like I'm stuck with my horrible yellow sidelights. :(

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
It's simple.
Squeeze the bit you can grab together and pull hard, they pop out.
When they are out you will see how they are held in, by two clips opposite each other, if the above doesn't work for you, try prising the clips together with your nails.

bozwellox

Jazz Maveric
Jan 8, 2007
Oxford
It's simple.
Squeeze the bit you can grab together and pull hard, they pop out.
When they are out you will see how they are held in, by two clips opposite each other, if the above doesn't work for you, try prising the clips together with your nails.

I definitely wouldn't describe it as being simple!! I can see how they work, but believe me the passenger side one ain't moving!

As for using my nails, I can barely fit my hands in there! I tried using two narrow screwdrivers and still no joy. I've also tried just pulling the barstewards as hard as possible and all that happened is the entire headlight lens moved. Grrrrrrrrrr...

Like I say I've done it before and it was fine. This time it is a hideous nightmare.

c4mbl

Sidelight Bulb removal from holder

Ok, ive searched for ways to do it, but they are all for what i have already managed to do, remove the bulb from headlight.

What i cant seem to do is remove the actual bulb from its holder, ive tried pulling it alot as i guess it slides out somehow, but i just cant seem to get it out at all! :(

Thanks! :)

c4mbl

Honestly mate, ive tried proper pulling it, and ive even put pliers on it and tried pulling it that way, just doesnt wanna budge!!

But i guess if thats definately the way to do it, il just keep trying. :(

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
It should pull out easily its just a capless sidelight bulb?

Even if its slightly corroded you should be able to pull it straight out.

JONOD

Dec 2, 2009
notts
hello the MOT is tomorrow and need to change my side bules on my LC mk1 how do i do this thanks

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
Take both your headlight covers off, Locate your sidelight bulb which is more nearer the bottom under the Main beam bulb and turn them whilst pulling and they will come out, Its quite fiddely with your fingers so long nose plyers help!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Take both your headlight covers off, Locate your sidelight bulb which is more nearer the bottom under the Main beam bulb and turn them whilst pulling and they will come out, Its quite fiddely with your fingers so long nose plyers help!

+1 for long nose pliers, the little grey bulb holder bits you have to pull out will mince your fingers otherwise. When doing the passenger side one take the battery cover out, it's very tight for space in there, that'll give you just the little bit more room to get the pliers in. I did mine the first time a few months back, ended up with bashed, cut hands. Second time (the other day, cos the first lot of LED bulbs I bought were ****) I used pliers, much easier :)

jimbob99

Oct 8, 2010
halifax, west yorkshire
park lights as in sidelights?
they are a little b@stard to get out if you havent had them out before, but be brave and just pull straight backwards, they dont twist out or unscrew or anything they just pull out
i used a set of needle nose pliers without squeezing too much as my fingers were hurting and my hands were cut to bits lol
hope it helps :)

Jun 21, 2010
Stockton on Tees
mine twisted out so a bit of a conflict of info on that one lol i turned em half round and they came out, but you will chop your fingers, and it will wind you up

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.