How do my brake discs look?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Really happy with the car... except... light breaking squeals like a pig. I've had a look around and the brake pads looks alright, as do the front discs. But the rear discs don't look so great. Do these need changing? Not sure if the squeal is from the front or the back though.

8FfaMb5.jpg

Last edited:

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
Yes that disc looks worn, the lip looks to catching the edge of the pads before the whole pad comes in to contact with the disc.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The fronts look alright... nice n shiny. So I'm hoping its the rear. Gonna have em stripped n cleaned to see if it fixes the issue.

Better angle:

2tKSoW9.jpg

Last edited:

Uselesshippy

Apr 28, 2016
The handbrake operates on the rear brake piston. To push the piston in for the new pads it needs to be wound in, not a expensive tool try eBay

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Stupid question... is everything from the spacer back part of the brake disc? I was going to have the rusted band next to the spacer painted, but if its part of the brake disc, I might as well just replace them and save the money on paint!

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
The handbrake operates on the rear brake piston. To push the piston in for the new pads it needs to be wound in, not a expensive tool try eBay

Ah yeah, so just a piston re-wind tool, you also need this for the fronts.

Was going to say I didnt need a handbrake tool but know what you mean now.

Stupid question... is everything from the spacer back part of the brake disc? I was going to have the rusted band next to the spacer painted, but if its part of the brake disc, I might as well just replace them and save the money on paint!

Yeah everything from the spacer back is the disc.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, was at MidlandVW the weekend... so got them to chuck new discs n pads on whilst I was there. Apparently the old ones were perfectly ok, braking wise. But were the original discs (so done 35k over 6 years). For the price of a clean n paint which lets face it would never be as good as new. I went with the shiny option:

zIP6l82.jpg

Squeak gone. Oh and they were starting to stick overnight. So thats fixed as well now. :D And the braking feels much sharper.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.