How do you replace powered wing mirrors?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
Hello,
Managed to win a full set of power folding wing mirrors, very cheaply, so need to swap them over.

Have looked and no guides or tips were found.
Only info on how to fix when not folding etc.

anybody done this and helpful hints?

if nothing i will try to make one up at the time.

cheers,
neilw

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Take off the door card and remove the triangle of plastic covering the bolt holding the mirror on.
The plugs are identical no mater what so it's all plug and play.
Not sure on the folding but you could try ignition on and leave the mirror button at 10 or 2, and not closed ;)

Jan 22, 2007
yeah, got manual folding with heated now.
want to change for power folding heated, then work out how to fold when i lock car with keyfob.

[edit]
should add elsawin is ok with the pic and says to tighten main bolt at;
Tightening torque: 10 Nm.
[/edit]

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I reckon the folding on keyfob lock is doable - I just haven't worked out how yet. I thought at first about just trying to hijack a cable between the central locking (or similar) on the door and the switch on the door card, to bypass the manual switch but didn't get any further than that. I think there is something funny about the power source - I think there is power to the mirrors without the key in the ignition until something else uses power, then power to the mirrors goes (or something like that).

Basically my electrics knowledge isn't really up to scratch hence not taking it any further, but I'd love to be able to do it.

Jan 22, 2007
yep, but possible easier than a myraid of relays etc

even looking on etka today at the ccm which reckon will do it, but same part number different prefix, and it is this that is the diff between models but not clear.

oh for the easy life...

Jan 22, 2007
ok, so old topic alert but relevant.

went to swap the mirrors over, but plugs are different....

current plug on mirror cabling
CIMG0626.jpg

plug on new mirror cabling
CIMG0622.jpg

can't work out where it plugs in to, as this plug only fits the top pic;
CIMG0625.jpg

is it direct to window motor? if so need two of these as well (gf gonna kill me)
if not how and looks like wiring loom needed as well as will have a spare unused plug

looking like cheap and easy is not so.....
so any thoughts, comments (inc. he's an idiot) and pointers much appreciated

Jan 22, 2007
had been wondering that.
as they are the push pin type, remove and re-attach to existing plug and see what happens.

just makes selling on the old ones not as easy...

nope expensive mistake.
the shape the the housing on the outside is completely different as well, and not up for breaking and rebuilding mirrors....

leon mirror:
CIMG0630.jpg

ibiza? mirror:
CIMG0631.jpg

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise