How does a Civic Type R compare to a mk1 LC?

JamJay

California Bound
That's a nice little vid but I always take what Tiff says with a pinch of salt. In that review though, he was right to pick the Focus, out of all of them it's the once I'd choose but at the time that I purchased my LCR, they were alot more expensive, I wouldn't rule one out now though if I wanted a good 2nd hand hot hatch. So that left me with CTR & LCR and we all know what one I chose :D. I love the CTR, the looks of the facelift are much improved on the original 01 - 53 plate cars and I am a big fan of Honda and their VTEC technology however I think to fully appreciate the LCR, you need to have owned a VTEC Honda previously, which I did. You can't really compare NA VTEC to Turbocharged, it's two different styles of driving and power delivery but I fell in love with the LCR and how it delivered it's power, so effortless in comparison and a driving style that I much preferred.

Now without turning this into a street racing post (apparently I am one :p), a normal CTR is left dead in a straight line in comparison to a remapped LCR, well not dead, it's still a quick car but the gap between them increases. However, in the bends the LCR understeers and the CTR seems to just grip and go.

If I am honest, unless tuned to circa 240bhp, I don't worry about these cars, it's more the S2000's that give me a run for my money.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
My opinion is that a well modded leon is probably one of the best hot hatches of its generation.

I would think that on different tracks the Leon would be a better car overall. For example The Ring would suit the LCR far more than the Civic. Also its not catagorically proven that the Civic is faster round the track. Top Gears stig times showed LCR was quicker.

EDIT: we also got to remember SEAT didnt build a track tool, they compromised which is why we all prefer the Leon as its more grown up. Honda essentially built a track car for the road.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members