How good is the Leon sat-nav?

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Given the Technology Pack (which includes the Sat Nav) is now free rather than £500, would anyone really order a car without it?

Me as well as mine is also a company car. However I did want the tech pack at both £500 and free but SEAT was only willing to give me it at full price since I'm a corporate customer and I wasn't willing to pay £1000+

Spuddo

Aug 5, 2013
I've just ordered as a company car with the tech pack free. My fleet manager simply told them it had to be that way or I'd order a different car.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I got it free too. I queried whether I could order the non tech pack car which was like a tenner a month less and get it for free and was told no - then they come back and said they had figured it out and the tech pack model was now the same price as the non tech pack one

Max Damage

Jun 7, 2013
I told em Hold em
Mine is via a large leasing company. However my main reason was the P11d hit and subsequent tax hit, so specced it without the LEDs and added the sunroof which I preferred to have

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
I think the main reason why I didn't get it is because we have to pay for all added extras before delivery instead of them going on the P11D.

The only thing we're allowed to add on is Metalic paint.

So basically I could have what ever I wanted on the car if I was willing to pay.

eclat01

Seat Leon Mk3 SE 1.6 TDI
Aug 4, 2013
Malmesbury
For those wondering, the base data for the maps is by Navteq and the current data is v2.

Will be interesting to see how up to date the data is kept/frequency of updates.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
For those wondering, the base data for the maps is by Navteq and the current data is v2.

Will be interesting to see how up to date the data is kept/frequency of updates.

Very helpful information. Thanks for sharing.

Rikwaite

Hi

I am afraid I haven't looked at the poi in great detail. It's good for petrol stations. When the red light comes on the sat nav asks if it can take u to the nearest petrol stations. It gives u the 3 closest to choose from. You can turn this off in the nav setup if u don't like it. The thing I've found it's good for street names but house numbers on the nav system not as good as the Tom toms. Sorry I can't help much on poi's

Cheers

Rik

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh

I know the data is provided by NavTeq as their logo is on the SD card box, strange then I got this response when I asked them about updates as their site currently only mentions the Exeo.

"We are the database supplier for many different navigation systems on the market. However, at this moment we do not handle the distribution of products for your navigation system.

To receive information regarding products for your navigation system, we recommend you to contact your dealer directly.

Should you require additional information, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

With kind regards,

NAVTEQ Maps Customer Service"

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Got a reply for Seat CS regarding the map updates:

Subject: Sat Nav

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting SEAT UK Customer Services regarding satellite navigation updates.

I am delighted to inform you that the SD cards with the updates are available from our SEAT UK Dealership network. These will be available annually, this means there will not be an update released until 2014.

I hope this information it useful; should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Kind regards

Fiona Hankin
Customer Relations Advisor
SEAT UK

So I'm guessing as we are entitled to 3 years worth of updates I'll be chasing my dealer in 2014, 2015, and 2016 for new SD cards for the Nav System.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
That's good to hear that we are entitled to 3 years of updates. I could not find this info except on the VW site. Were you told in the handbook or by the dealer?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Can't remember may have been the dealer, certainly VW and Skoda get the 3 years updates so no reason Seat shouldn't

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
does the Sat Nav have any sort of traffic avoidance built into it?

Yes and its pretty good, saved me siting in a 2 hour traffic by re routing me down some tiny back roads
Just one thing, it can only base it on the info available so worth double checking on other sources to be sure there is a hold up ahead as it once tried to re route me due to a over egged local radio traffic report

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
I did because it is a company car and adds £2k to the P11d price, and so I specced the car how I wanted without the xenons for a lower P11d price

pathetic excuse if you ask me for not ordering it

even at a BIK rateable value of 18%, and you having a marginal tax rate of 20%, that £2K, would cost you:

£2000 x 18% x 20% = £72 a year in tax, you basically quibbled over a paltry £1.38 a week based on the above

The BIK rateable value is a % of list price based on the Co2 rating, upon which you pay tax at your marginal rate

EG on a £30K car with a BIK rateable value of 20% is a P11d Value of £6000

£6000 x 20% (if that's your marginal rate) is tax payable of £1200 a year or £23 a week

Leonnie

I like the Nav so far, but only used it a handfull of times.

The TomTom screen view is better in my opinion, so I tend to look at the arrow on the instrument cluster. Perhaps it's something I just need to get used to?

One thing missing though is safety camera warnings, for us forgetfull people who don't realise how fast they are going!

Must sort a sig out lol

Seat Leon 184 FR SC Emocion red tit and conv pack:)

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I've ordered my new 1.8TSI DSG 5-door Leon FR with the Technology Pack (due for delivery by the second week of November) and wondered if you can input the GPS coordinates of a location in the satnav - This doesn't seem to be mentioned or explained in the manual.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I've ordered my new 1.8TSI DSG 5-door Leon FR with the Technology Pack (due for delivery by the second week of November) and wondered if you can input the GPS coordinates of a location in the satnav - This doesn't seem to be mentioned or explained in the manual.

I take it you mean grid references, lon/lat etc
Then no, not that I could find, not something I would use very offten, but a couple of times it would have been useful

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I take it you mean grid references, lon/lat etc
Then no, not that I could find, not something I would use very offten, but a couple of times it would have been useful

Now that I have my Leon, I've just discovered how to find a location using the GPS coordinates (latitude & longitude) on the satnav system.

I thought it might be useful to explain how I got this to work, as I couldn't find these details in the instruction manual:

Select New destination.

Select ON MAP/GPS COOR. from the OPTIONS menu.

You will then see a map on the left of the screen & Latitude and Longitude numbers displayed on the right of the screen.

You can either drag the map around in relation to the blue target symbol which displays the corresponding Latitude & Longitude coordinates on the right of the screen, or you can press on any of the displayed Latitude & Longitude numbers & compass point displayed, and a drop-down option will then allow you to change the displayed number or compass point you have pressed. You can do this in turn for each of the degree = o, minutes = ', seconds = " and compass points = N, E, S, W values to enter the complete correct Latitude & Longitude coordinates of the location. Either way, you can then store &/or navigate to this location after pressing OK at the bottom right of the screen.

Incidentally, I found that the map on the left of this screen can be zoomed in and out using the right-hand rotary control knob below the screen.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members