How good is the Leon sat-nav?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Now that I have my Leon, I've just discovered how to find a location using the GPS coordinates (latitude & longitude) on the satnav system.

I thought it might be useful to explain how I got this to work, as I couldn't find these details in the instruction manual:

Select New destination.

Select ON MAP/GPS COOR. from the OPTIONS menu.

You will then see a map on the left of the screen & Latitude and Longitude numbers displayed on the right of the screen.

You can either drag the map around in relation to the blue target symbol which displays the corresponding Latitude & Longitude coordinates on the right of the screen, or you can press on any of the displayed Latitude & Longitude numbers & compass point displayed, and a drop-down option will then allow you to change the displayed number or compass point you have pressed. You can do this in turn for each of the degree = o, minutes = ', seconds = " and compass points = N, E, S, W values to enter the complete correct Latitude & Longitude coordinates of the location. Either way, you can then store &/or navigate to this location after pressing OK at the bottom right of the screen.

Incidentally, I found that the map on the left of this screen can be zoomed in and out using the right-hand rotary control knob below the screen.

This is excellent, just what I need
Far easier than driving around in ever decreasing circles till the gps coordinates on the screen match the ones on my os map
Which is what I had to do the other Sunday

Anyway, I can get the gps coordinates in the little box on the split screen, I found that the other Sunday

Now I've followed your instructions, but I can't get beyond moving the blue circle around ?

Mine has nowhere to put in minutes or seconds nor can I get any drop down box
All I can do it move the blue circle around and go to the coordinates that I select in the blue circle, can't do any of the other stuff you manage too ?
Any advice much aprichated as being able to put in gps coordinates would be very very useful

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
To be honest, I find it very clumsy and unintuitive to work....

I can get google maps setup and running on my phone in 10th of the time (no, not whilst driving!)
The voice command never understands me... so its prodding the screen 50 times.
It cannot find shops... "take me to Asda" should be a given ?

The automatic zoom is ALWAYS at the wrong level.... you need it to show a roundabout or junction and its about 5 miles up, or theres a motorway exit coming up and all you see is the friggin road....

Or Im working it wrong ;-)

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I hope these two screenshots help clarify my description of how I put the GPS coordinates into the satnav. You need to press on/touch the relevant displayed digit or compass point for Latitude or Longitude displayed to the right of the map. This will then give you the drop-down option to change the number or compass point (as shown in my second screenshot):

9wni.jpg

2gdh.jpg

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I hope these two screenshots help clarify my description of how I put the GPS coordinates into the satnav. You need to press on/touch the relevant displayed digit or compass point for Latitude or Longitude displayed to the right of the map. This will then give you the drop-down option to change the number or compass point (as shown in my second screenshot):

9wni.jpg

2gdh.jpg

Thank you for taking the trouble to post the pictues

I spent an hour or so pushed all over the screen and everything on the screen, went through the steps again and all the other combinations I could think of but could not get up anything like your pictures show

I take it you have the technology pack
I see from your description on the members page that you not long had the car, can I ask what the number is on your satnav software? I'm wondering if because I've had my car for a while now,you have the newer software with more features

I think the latest is 034?

Edit: just checked mine, its version 0021

Last edited:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to post the pictues

I spent an hour or so pushed all over the screen and everything on the screen, went through the steps again and all the other combinations I could think of but could not get up anything like your pictures show

I take it you have the technology pack
I see from your description on the members page that you not long had the car, can I ask what the number is on your satnav software? I'm wondering if because I've had my car for a while now,you have the newer software with more features

I think the latest is 034?

Edit: just checked mine, its version 0021

I will try to check the satnav software version number tomorrow and post it here - I think my Leon (with the Technology Pack) was built in week 39.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I will try to check the satnav software version number tomorrow and post it here - I think my Leon (with the Technology Pack) was built in week 39.

My version of satnav software as displayed on the satnav screen in the car is "0034ECE 2013/14".

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
My version of satnav software as displayed on the satnav screen in the car is "0034ECE 2013/14".

Thanks for checking

Seems like my satnav is out of date

I wonder how many other features the newer software has
I have the up to date software so I'll load it up on the satnav and see if that makes a difference

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
I am really pleased with the satnav on the Leon, especially the dynamic rerouting based on traffic. Is it just me or is this uncannily accurate?!

How have most people set up the routing to be? Economical/Shortest/Fastest? I set mine to Fastest but it reverts back to Economical every time.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I am really pleased with the satnav on the Leon, especially the dynamic rerouting based on traffic. Is it just me or is this uncannily accurate?!

How have most people set up the routing to be? Economical/Shortest/Fastest? I set mine to Fastest but it reverts back to Economical every time.

None, I let it display all three then choose either the red yellow or blue based on the three routes displayed on the map, time of day and how much traffic and any knowledge I have on which route suits best

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
Just read the manual. Blue means Economical, Red fastest and Yellow Shortest! Answered my own question there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
When I first used my SatNav the audio instructions automatically turned down the volume of the music. However last weekend I went out and the SatNav and music were both shouting over each other, and I ended up turning up the SatNav just to hear it.

I had a look through both Media and Nav setup settings and couldn't see anything obvious, anybody know?

I'm hoping it's not an issue with the red audio cable :(

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I could have sworn there was an option in menu > sound

Of my memory serves the nav option is to quiet it down during a call.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
When I first used my SatNav the audio instructions automatically turned down the volume of the music. However last weekend I went out and the SatNav and music were both shouting over each other, and I ended up turning up the SatNav just to hear it.

I had a look through both Media and Nav setup settings and couldn't see anything obvious, anybody know?

I'm hoping it's not an issue with the red audio cable :(

Did you manage to figure this out? I don't use the satnav much but noticed today the directions being read over the radio, I don't remember if it use to turn the music down.

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I haven't tried it again since to be honest, will be using it this weekend so will see if it's sorted itself out!

Its in the setup menu on the satnav screen, under navigation announcements.

I generally find the routing to be decent, although quite what logic it uses to get the econiomical route I don't know. Bolton > Liverpool down the east lancs road isn't more economical than the m62 I'm pretty certain. It also seems (like the rest of the system) to not have had an update for right hand drive cars. I can understand not swapping the physical buttons, but the soft ones should be pretty easy.

I'm also having issues with street numbers. Put in the town > street> number it'll take you straight there. Put in the postcode 'no street data available for this location'. Bit of a pita.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Its in the setup menu on the satnav screen, under navigation announcements.

The only settings in there is the announcement volume and to turn off guidance during a call.

Found something in the setup\volume menu labelled "audio lowering", you can change this from off, low, medium, strong. Not sure if that is what reduces the audio for nav announcements.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise